Mom jailed for 30 years for killing two kidsJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:41 am ICT by IANS
London, July 4 (IANS) A 45-year-old British woman who murdered her two children at a hotel in Spain has been sentenced to jail for 30 years.
Lianne Smith suffocated five-year-old Rebecca and 11-month-old Daniel with a plastic bag before turning herself in, The Sun reported.
Judge Adolfo Garcia Morales said it was absolutely clear the murders in Lloret de Mar coastal town in the Mediterranean coast were “premeditated”.
The judge said the children could not defend themselves, and sentenced the woman to jail for 15 years for each murder.
Smith’s lawyer had claimed she was criminally insane.
The woman from Lichfield in Staffordshire feared her children would be taken away after her partner Martin Smith was arrested on child sex charges in 2010.
The man hanged himself in jail in January.
The woman is now kept on suicide watch at a secure psychiatric hospital in a prison near Barcelona.
- British mom kills kids, spends night with bodies - Jun 19, 2012
- Girl kills rival after row over boys, jailed - Aug 29, 2012
- Norway killer terms insanity report as lie - Apr 25, 2012
- Russian woman jailed for killing 17 - Jun 04, 2012
- Court awards 10-year jail to man for killing wife - Aug 08, 2012
- Mexican mother blinds her son in satanic ritual - May 25, 2012
- British woman convicted for 229th time - Jun 28, 2011
- Briton jailed for blog on imaginary rape - Sep 05, 2010
- Kuwaiti woman sentenced to death for wedding fire that killed 57 - Jun 13, 2011
- British politician's son jailed for sexual assault - Nov 15, 2011
- Russia witnesses spurt in baby killings by mums - Sep 01, 2011
- Australian woman jailed for plying son with alcohol - Nov 04, 2010
- Woman jailed for life for killing baby son - Jan 12, 2012
- Court declares Norway killer sane - Apr 10, 2012
- Honeymoon murder: Shrien Dewani to be extradited to South Africa - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: adolfo, barcelona, british woman, child sex charges, coastal town, garcia morales, hotel in spain, july 4, lawyer, lichfield, lloret de mar, london, martin smith, mediterranean coast, mom, murders, psychiatric hospital, rebecca, staffordshire, suicide watch