Modigliani’s nude painting fetches record $69m at auctionNovember 4th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 4 (ANI): A nude portrait by Amedeo Modigliani has fetched a record price of nearly 69 million dollars at an auction in New York.
The painting was sold at Sotheby’s auction, the BBC reports.
Sotheby’s said the artist’s ‘La Belle Romaine’ drew five bidders into a heated competition, pushing its price well past its pre-estimate of 40 million dollars.
An anonymous buyer made the winning bid, with the final price of 68.9 million dollars.
The sale o the painting, part of a series of nudes created around 1917, marked a record for a work by the artist, surpassing the 43.2million euros benchmark set earlier this year in Paris.
“We are delighted with the results of our sale,” said Simon Shaw, head of Sotheby’s.
“It was a great night for Modigliani,” he said, adding that the price was more than four times higher than when it was sold at Sotheby’s in 1999.
Another painting by Modigliani also surpassed its pre-sale estimate. Jeanne Hébuterne (au chapeau), one of the first portraits he painted of his lover, was sold for 19.1 million dollars. (ANI)
- 'Raza masterpiece unsold but art market stable' - Mar 22, 2012
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- 12 rare Tagore art works auctioned in London - Jun 15, 2010
- 450-year-old Titian painting sells for record $16.9m at NY auction - Jan 28, 2011
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- Ming Vase auctioned for $1.38 million - Mar 21, 2011
- Tagore art works fetch 1.6 bn pounds at Sotheby's auction (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Historic Nepali mandala art sets world record at Sotheby's - Jun 02, 2011
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- 180 fake paintings seized in Italy - May 04, 2012
- 12 Tagore art works to be auctioned at Sotheby's - May 17, 2010
- Picasso sets new art auction record: $106.5 mn - May 05, 2010
- Apple founding document auctioned for $1.59 mn - Dec 14, 2011
- Two of M.F. Husain's works feature in Doha auction - Dec 01, 2010
- 300-year-old Chinese vase sells for $32 mn - Oct 10, 2010