Moderate earthquake rattles southeastern the Philippines, no damageDecember 8th, 2010 - 2:42 pm ICT by BNO News
HINATUAN, PHILIPPINES (BNO NEWS) — A moderate earthquake struck off the east coast of the Filipino island of Mindanao on Wednesday afternoon, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage or casualties.
The 5.8-magnitude earthquake at 2.47 p.m. local time (0647 GMT) was centered about 115 kilometers (70 miles) south-southeast of Hinatuan, a municipality in the eastern province of Surigao del Sur. It struck about 92 kilometers (57 miles) deep, making it an earthquake of intermediate depth, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the strength of the earthquake at 6.1 on the Richter scale, slightly stronger than the Filipino report.
The USGS estimated that approximately 784,000 people may have felt moderate shaking, which could potentially result in light damage. More than 5 million others may have felt light shaking, which would unlikely result in damage. “There is a low likelihood of casualties and damage,” the USGS said.
Residents in the eastern region of Mindanao reported feeling the moderate earthquake, especially in the municipality of Prosperidad where the strongest shaking was recorded.
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties, and no tsunami alerts were issued.
- Strong 6.1 quake strikes off the Philippines - Dec 08, 2010
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- Strong earthquake shakes Papua New Guinea, no damage - Aug 20, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- Moderate earthquake rattles southwest Pakistan, destroys homes - Aug 10, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Moderate earthquake jolts Japan's Honshu island - Sep 29, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Cuba's coast, no damage - Sep 15, 2011
- Colorado's largest earthquake since 1967 damages homes - Aug 23, 2011
- Strong 6.2-magnitude earthquake hits off the Vanuatu Islands - Sep 08, 2010
- Strong quake hits off Southern Sumatra - Jan 18, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Quake jolts Philippines - Dec 17, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea's New Britain, no reports of damage - Jun 16, 2011
- Up to 1,000 feared dead after powerful quake devastates eastern Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,