Moderate aftershocks jolt China’s quake zoneMay 18th, 2008 - 7:48 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 18 (Xinhua) A moderate aftershock measuring 6 on the Richter scale jolted Jiangyou city in China’s quake-hit Sichuan province early Sunday, officials said. No casualties were reported. The temblor jolted two townships in Jiangyou city, northern Sichuan, at 1.08 a.m., causing cracks in a mountain and seriously damaging roads. One of the crevices runs 300 meters.
Jiangyou is situated near Beichuan county and Mianyang city, which are among places hardest hit by the May 12 earthquake that measured 7.8 on the Richter scale.
As of 8 p.m. Saturday, 146 aftershocks measuring 4 or more on the Richter scale had been monitored in areas since May 12, according to the China Seismological Bureau.
The biggest aftershock reported was a 6.1-magnitude quake May 13. There have been 23 quakes at or above 5 on the Richter scale.
The devastating quake, centred on Wenchuan county in Sichuan, has claimed 28,881 lives and injured 198,347 people.
- China quake toll crosses 28,000 - May 17, 2008
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 4.5-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 02, 2011
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Magnitude 7.2 quake hits Mexico - May 02, 2012
- Strong aftershock jolts quake-ravaged China province - May 18, 2008
- Moderate quake jolts Nicobar Islands - Apr 25, 2012
- Magnitude 6 quake hits China - Mar 09, 2012
- Strong quake hits Norwegian Sea: USGS - May 25, 2012
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- Strong quake hits Taiwan - Jun 10, 2012
- Two earthquakes jolt Tibet - Mar 24, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits Vanuatu - Apr 15, 2012
- School students injured in China quake - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: aftershock, aftershocks, beijing, casualties, china, cracks, crevices, earthquake, jolt, magnitude quake, mianyang city, northern sichuan, quake zone, quakes, richter scale, sichuan province, temblor, townships, xinhua