Mob lynches suspected rapist in VenezuelaFebruary 6th, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Feb 6 (IANS) A suspected rapist was lynched, burned and dragged through the streets by residents of a west Caracas neighbourhood who accused the police of not doing their jobs, Venezuelan media has reported.The residents said that the suspect was killed Wednesday morning after he allegedly tried to rape a nine-year-old girl, EFE stated.
The man, according to eyewitnesses, was chased by a mob, caught, beaten, shot, burned and tied to a motorcycle and dragged down an avenue, where the body was burned again.
The incident occurred in the Zamora neighbourhood, where another suspected criminal was killed by a mob in October, the El Universal newspaper said.
Residents told reporters that they took justice into their own hands because the man had allegedly raped five women, including a girl, in the neighbourhood.
“We had been following him and managed to capture him this morning (Wednesday) when he tried to abuse a nine-year-old girl. He got away twice,” a resident who refused to identify himself told El Universal.
“We don’t believe the police. They are corrupt. We don’t want them here,” Josefina Guzman, who lives in El Valle, told the daily Ultimas Noticias.
Venezuelans, according to polls, consider crime the biggest problem facing the country.
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela is free - Apr 11, 2012
- Venezuela nabs three for Mexican envoy's abduction - Feb 07, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Minor girl's body found in Delhi park - Oct 13, 2011
- Mob burns bars in Bolivia to protest girl's death - Mar 11, 2010
- Minor girl raped in Delhi - Mar 11, 2011
- Abducted Mexican ambassador freed in Venezuela - Jan 31, 2012
- Mexican film fest begins Monday in Hong Kong - May 02, 2011
- Paedophile's house in Russia under siege - Jul 22, 2011
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Kin protest for better condition in Venezuelan jails - Jan 12, 2010
- Teenaged girl raped, friend molested in West Bengal - Jun 30, 2012
- Girl burnt by alleged rapist dies after 13 days - Dec 17, 2010