Mittal’s stake in Australian firm skips mandatory review(Lead)May 22nd, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, May 22 (IANS) By acquiring a 14.9 percent stake in a Queensland-based coal-mining firm, the London-based L.N. Mittal can avoid a mandatory appraisal by the country’s Foreign Investment Review Board, news reports here say. The steel magnate’s AreclorMittal Wednesday announced that it was picking up the stake - just short of the 15 percent that would have triggered the appraisal - in Macarthur Coal. Areclor Mittal is also the mining firm’s biggest customer.
The Sydney Morning Herald also said that the acquisition will also be able to block further acquisition by Chinese company CITIC Resources in Macarthur, over and above the 17.7 percent stake it already holds in the Queensland-based firm.
Macarthur had also been in talks with Anglo-Swiss Xstrata Coal and there had been interest from larger miners like BHP-Billiton and Rip Tinto, newspapers here added.
- India follows China in grab for Australia's minerals - May 22, 2008
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- Adani's plan $10-bn coalmine, railroad project in Australia - Feb 14, 2012
- Rio Tinto says India will match China's demand for key commodities soon - Mar 16, 2010
- India's JSW Steel in multibillion Oz takeover bid - Oct 25, 2011
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- Australian mining giant squirms at India's slow growth - May 18, 2012
- ArcelorMittal increases stake in Australia's Macarthur Coal - Jun 30, 2008
- India's second school of mines to come up in northeast - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian fertiliser makers looking to buy mines in Africa - Dec 11, 2011
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- GMR Energy to acquire 30 percent stake in Indonesian firm - Aug 12, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- India's Adani Group given right of coal export infrastructure at Dudgeon Point - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: acquisition, bhp billiton, board news, chinese company, citic resources, coal mining, foreign investment review board, l n mittal, london, macarthur coal, miners, morning herald, news reports, newspapers, percent stake, queensland, steel magnate, sydney morning herald, xstrata coal