Missouri tornado toll rises to 132May 28th, 2011 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 28 (IANS/EFE) The toll in the tornado that devastated Joplin city in the American state of Missouri has reached 132, while 156 people still remain unaccounted for, officials said.
At least 90 people previously listed as missing checked in with their loved ones or with authorities.
Six people whose names appeared on the list of the missing were found dead, said Andrea Spillars, deputy director and general counsel for the Missouri department of public safety.
Only 19 of the fatalities have been identified, partly due to new steps instituted after a woman erroneously identified a victim as her son.
“It is important that we be absolutely accurate in this process,” Spillars said.
Forensics specialists are in Joplin to aid in the identification of the bodies.
The storm left 900 people injured as it flattened numerous homes and other buildings Sunday night in Joplin, a city of 50,000 people, roughly 257 km south of Kansas.
More than 8,000 structures were damaged by the tornado, which had winds of more than 320 km per hour, according to the US National Weather Service.
Storms also left 13 dead in Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
US President Barack Obama will travel to Joplin Sunday to oversee recovery efforts and meet victims’ families.
- 232 listed as missing after US tornado - May 27, 2011
- Missouri tornado toll reaches 139 - May 29, 2011
- 13 die as fresh tornadoes hit three US states - May 26, 2011
- 29 people still unaccounted in Joplin tornado - May 31, 2011
- Storms leave 100,000 without power in Michigan - May 31, 2011
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Some people on Joplin's Missing List turning out to be safe - May 27, 2011
- Rimes staging charity show for tornado victims - May 26, 2011
- Nine killed as tornadoes, storms hit US - Apr 16, 2011
- Tornado in US city kills 116 - May 24, 2011
- 4 killed in Branson Tornado - Feb 29, 2012
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- 25 killed as tornadoes hit US - May 23, 2011
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: andrea, authorities, barack obama, department of public safety, deputy director, dg, forensics, general counsel, joplin city, kansas arkansas, missouri department, missouri tornado, national weather service, recovery efforts, spillars, state of missouri, storms