Mississippi lesbian teen wins $35K lawsuit over cancelled promJuly 21st, 2010 - 5:02 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, July 21 (ANI): Constance McMillen would have never thought that she wouldn’t be allowed to attend her high school prom just because she is a lesbian.
But tables turned when she won a 35,000 US dollars payout against Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton, which admitted that it violated McMillen’s right to freedom of speech.
The trouble began when the school’s principal denied McMillen’s request to wear a tuxedo and to bring a female date to the prom.
The school board also followed the same course and even ruled the prom should be cancelled ‘due to the distractions to the educational process caused by recent events’.
Later, school officials invited her to a prom that only McMillen and a few other students attended while the rest of her class partied at a secret event several miles away, reports News.com.au.
The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit, following which Itawamba has agreed to pay McMillen 39,687 dollars in damages and to cover her attorney’s fees.
The school will also adopt a discrimination and harassment policy that covers sexual orientation. (ANI)
- Lesbian student Constance McMillen awarded $35,000 as settlement over the cancellation of her prom - Jul 21, 2010
- Mississippi school prom canceled after a lesbian date request - Mar 12, 2010
- Two lesbians' planned prom date leads to prom cancellation - Mar 13, 2010
- School Bans Lesbian Partner From Prom, Taken To Court - Mar 13, 2010
- Constance McMillen's Dream Of Taking Her Lesbian Partner To Prom Thwarted - Mar 12, 2010
- U.S. District Judge Says The Prom To Stay Cancelled But The Lesbian Teenager's Rights Infringed - Mar 24, 2010
- Lesbian Teen Prom Case Wins Favor Of The Court - Mar 24, 2010
- US lesbian student wins right to wear tuxedo to senior school prom - Apr 02, 2011
- Federal judge hands over the verdict in the Mississippi Lesbian teen prom case - Mar 24, 2010
- Meester files lawsuit against mother - Jul 24, 2011
- UK parents worried over US-style prom night for 10-yr-olds - Jul 24, 2010
- German trainee fined for illegal Facebook party - Jul 31, 2012
- Smoking ban leads to drop in heart attacks, finds US study - Nov 15, 2009
- Prom Dress Made Of Duct Tape - Jun 30, 2009
- Nicolas Cage a woman abuser? - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: agricultural high school, american civil liberties, american civil liberties union, civil liberties union, constance, damages, discrimination, distractions, freedom of speech, harassment policy, itawamba county, lesbian teen, mcmillen, melbourne, news com au, partied, school officials, several miles, sexual orientation, tuxedo