Missing Dutch tourist rescued from well after 18 daysJuly 7th, 2011 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, July 7 (IANS/EFE) A Dutch tourist, who went missing 18 days ago in a Spanish town, was rescued Wednesday from a well she fell into while walking in the mountains.
Three hikers while walking along the Chillar river noticed 48-year-old Mary Anne Goossens and informed the emergency services authorities.
The hikers gave the trapped woman food and warm clothing by tossing them in the well, before going to search for help.
Goossens told paramedics that she fell into the well on the night of June 17 and could not get out, although she managed to squeeze herself into a side cavity so she would not be in constant contact with the water inside.
After being pulled from the well, the woman was placed aboard a police helicopter and taken to Axarquia hospital, paramedics told EFE.
Healthcare personnel told reporters that Goossens is doing “rather well”, although she has burns, minor injuries, scratches and scrapes on her legs.
Her relatives reported June 23 that she had been missing for a week, adding that she arrived in Malaga June 15 for a 10-day vacation and the next day went to Nerja to do some hiking.
- Eagle tries to snatch woman's dog in Spain - Apr 25, 2012
- Storms leave 100,000 without power in Michigan - May 31, 2011
- Armed Brazilian demands bank returns her $25 - Aug 03, 2012
- Four children drown in Colombian pond - May 31, 2011
- Woman who snatched baby from Chilean hospital nabbed - May 15, 2012
- Spanish soccer coach is dead - Jun 08, 2012
- Woman gunned down in church in Colombia - Aug 21, 2012
- Mexican government paid $10 mn for TV series glorifying cops - Jul 15, 2011
- Baby stolen from Colombian woman's womb - Sep 03, 2011
- Woman accused of burning one of world's oldest trees - Mar 01, 2012
- Gay cruise ship turned away by Morocco, goes to Spain - Jul 02, 2012
- Woman, two daughters found dismembered in Guatemala - Sep 04, 2012
- Ex-Miss Universe resumes acting career after having baby - Aug 04, 2012
- Puerto Rico rocked by boy's death from malnutrition - Nov 22, 2011
- Dominican woman sells her baby - May 01, 2012
Tags: authorities, burns, cavity, constant contact, dutch tourist, efe, emergency services, goossens, hikers, june 23, legs, malaga, minor injuries, mountains, paramedics, police helicopter, relatives, scratches and scrapes, spanish town, warm clothing