Missing climber found dead on Argentine peakMarch 2nd, 2011 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, March 2 (IANS/EFE) An Argentine rescue patrol found the body of a Polish mountaineer who had gone missing 16 days ago near the peak of Mt. Aconcagua, which this season has taken the lives of six climbers, the Buenos Aires press reported.
The remains of Liezec Bomark, 35, were found Monday not far from the summit of the mountain known as the “Roof of the Americas”, which towers 6,962 meters in Argentina’s Mendoza province, some 1,000 km from Buenos Aires.
Late last week, a rescue helicopter had flown over the area looking for the Polish climber, who disappeared Feb 12 when he was descending from the summit with two companions in the midst of a snowstorm and heavy winds, spokesmen for the rescue group said.
Once the storm was over, Bomark’s body was found half buried by snow, they said.
So far this season, five other foreign climbers have died on Aconcagua, including Spaniard Ana Guerra, US climber John Watcher and German Karl Heinz Bar.
Since last November, 4,570 people, most of them foreigners, have obtained permits to visit the tallest mountain in the Western Hemisphere, according to official statistics.
- Indian conquers the Andes in Latin America (With Image) - Mar 27, 2012
- Bodies of two mountain climbers found - Jul 16, 2012
- Actor Alberto de Mendoza is dead - Dec 13, 2011
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- Airforce mountaineers set off on Mission Tricolour - Aug 06, 2010
- Spaniard dies after reaching Everest's summit - May 24, 2012
- Julio Iglesias to hold concerts in Argentina - Feb 06, 2012
- Italian mountain climber falls to death in Swiss Alps - Aug 22, 2011
- Argentina may issue currency with Evita's likeness - Jun 04, 2012
- Julio Iglesias kicks off concert tour in Chile - Apr 08, 2012
- Argentine government takes over train operator after crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Briton's dismembered body found in Argentina - Jan 15, 2012
- Juan Luis Guerra brings Caribbean rhythms to Chile - Oct 09, 2011
- Storm leaves 12 dead in Argentina - Apr 06, 2012
- Argentine comedian Jorge Luz is dead - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: aconcagua, argentine peak, climbers, companions, foreigners, heinz bar, karl heinz, last november, mendoza province, midst, mountaineer, mt aconcagua, official statistics, rescue group, rescue helicopter, snowstorm, spaniard, spokesmen, tallest mountain, western hemisphere