Missing Australians rescued from New Zealand mountainAugust 16th, 2008 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, Aug 16 (DPA) Six Australian mountaineers trapped in bad weather while climbing New Zealand’s Southern Alps were airlifted to safety Saturday by a search and rescue helicopter. The four men and two women from Sydney were reported to be well when they were flown to the village at the foot of 3,745-metre Mount Cook.
They were found on a glacier after a brief break in the weather allowed a helicopter to take off and hone in on an emergency beacon that the group activated Thursday night when they ran into difficulties.
Heavy snow, low clouds and extreme avalanche risks prevented a full-scale air-and-ground search Friday when the helicopter with a specialist alpine rescue team was put on stand by in the Mount Cook village.
- Climber rescued after being trapped for a week - Aug 15, 2012
- Chopper crashes, crew killed in bid to rescue Japanese climber (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- 100 Pakistani troops buried in Siachen avalanche (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- 'Buried under avalanche, help came from the sky' - Feb 27, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- Avalanches in northeastern Afghanistan kill 44 - Mar 07, 2012
- Missing MiG-29 pilot dead - Nov 07, 2011
- Dutch prince hospitalised after Austrian avalanche - Feb 18, 2012
- Crashed MiG's one engine found, no trace of pilot - Oct 27, 2011
- 'Rescue work on for missing Siachen avalanche victims' - Apr 13, 2012
- Siachen avalanche buries 130 Pakistani soldiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Massive combing operation on to locate crashed MiG-29 - Nov 04, 2011
- Nine civilians rescued alive from Sonamarg avalanche - Feb 24, 2012
- US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescue - Apr 09, 2012
- Tunnels dug to reach Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: alpine rescue, avalanche risks, bad weather, break in the weather, dpa, emergency beacon, four men, glacier, ground search, heavy snow, low clouds, missing australians, mount cook, mountaineers, rescue helicopter, search and rescue, southern alps, thursday night, two women, wellington