Missile defence deal with US possible, says RussiaMarch 19th, 2009 - 11:12 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 19 (RIA Novosti) There is scope for Russia and the US to reach an agreement on missile defence, the Russian foreign ministry said Thursday.
“In theory, we have every opportunity to agree on the missile defence issue,” Russian foreign ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said.
He also said Russia welcomed the Czech Republic’s decision to put off a vote in parliament on the ratification of a deal to place a radar on its soil as part of a US missile shield.
“We believe this decision reflects prevailing public opinion in the country,” Nesterenko said.
The US has cited Iran’s controversial nuclear programme as one of the reasons behind its plans to deploy a missile base in Poland and a radar in the Czech Republic. The missile shield has been strongly opposed by Russia, which views it as a threat to its national security.
The dispute has strained relations between the former Cold War rivals, already tense over a host of other differences.
The US and other Western nations suspect Tehran of secretly seeking nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear programme is purely aimed at generating electricity.
Top Russian officials have repeatedly expressed their hope that US President Barack Obama would not implement the missile defence plan of his predecessor George W. Bush.
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- US defence system in Poland unjustified: Russia - Jul 07, 2010
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia-NATO missile shield talks stalled ahead of 2012 summit - Oct 31, 2011
- Russia scraps Kaliningrad missile plan - Sep 19, 2009
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia threatens to stop missile defence cooperation with US - Oct 06, 2011
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- NATO approves missile defence system for member states at Lisbon summit - Nov 20, 2010
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- US missile deal was a mistake: Poland - Aug 05, 2012
- Russia may adopt new ICBM by 2022 - May 08, 2012
- Iran missile programme no threat to Europe: French official - May 04, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: andrei, barack obama, foreign ministry spokesman, generating electricity, george w bush, march 19, missile base, missile defence plan, national security, nesterenko, nuclear weapons, predecessor, public opinion, ratification, ria novosti, russia moscow, russian foreign ministry, russian officials, tehran, us missile shield