`Millions of Americans are victims of attacks by partners’December 15th, 2011 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
Atlanta, Dec 15 (IANS/EFE) An average of 24 people per minute become the victims of rape, physical violence or harassment by their partner or spouse in the US, according to a survey released Wednesday.
The survey by the US Centers for Disease Control found that more than 12 million women and men have been the victims of some attack of this type.
“This report highlights the heavy toll that sexual violence, stalking and intimate partner violence places on adults in this country,” Linda Degutis, the head of CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, said.
She said that the report’s findings emphasize the need for authorities to continue their efforts to combat domestic and sexual violence.
Responses to the CDC’s National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey indicate that 1 million women were victims of rape or attempted rape in the previous 12 months.
The poll found that almost one in every five women and one in every 71 men in the US have been raped at some time in their lives.
More than half the women - 51.1 percent - who have been the victims of an attack said they were raped by their intimate partner and 40.8 percent said that the rape was perpetrated by an acquaintance.
In the case of men, more than half reported that they were raped by a person they knew and 15.1 percent said they were raped by a person they did not know.
The report found that the majority of female rape victims were attacked for the first time before they were 25, while 42.2 percent were raped before they turned 18.
- 80 percent British women don't report rape: Survey - Mar 12, 2012
- One-third Austrian women sexually harassed at work - Nov 22, 2011
- 35 percent Indian women suffer domestic violence: UN - Jul 07, 2011
- Men too 'suffer psychological trauma from partner abuse' - Apr 08, 2011
- Domestic violence deaths rise 40 percent in Argentina - Jul 15, 2010
- Guatemalan cop accused of holding teen as sex slave - Aug 18, 2012
- Sexual assault an unseen foe for US troops - May 01, 2011
- One in three British teenage girls 'sexually assaulted' - Mar 05, 2012
- Survey finds 1 in 3 South African men admitting to rape - Nov 26, 2010
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- Disabled men face far greater odds of sexual abuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Rape is fault of the victims, say half of women: survey - Feb 15, 2010
- 17 held in Mexico summer camp attack - Jul 20, 2012
- Chinese province hit by sex crimes - Apr 24, 2012
- Brazil to distribute 20 mn female condoms - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: 1 million, 12 months, acquaintance, adults, authorities, cdc, female rape victims, five women, harassment, injury prevention and control, intimate partner violence, national center for injury prevention and control, physical violence, poll, sexual violence, victims of rape, violence survey, women and men