Millionaire’s daughter to be jailed for London riotsApril 5th, 2012 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 5 (IANS) Laura Johnson, the daughter of a British millionaire, was Thursday convicted of having participated in an “orgy of looting” during last year’s London riots. She now faces a long jail term.
The 20-year-old high flying university student, from Orpington, Kent, had claimed having been forced to drive a drug dealer and his friends around during the mass disturbances in London.
The jury, after seeing photos taken by witnesses of her laughing and joking at the wheel of her car, observed that she was actually a willing participant in the crime spree, the Daily Telegraph reported.
A jury found her guilty of burglary from a Comet Store in Greenwich, south east London Aug 9 during the riots.
It was there at around 2 a.m. that she was arrested at the wheel of her Smart Car with over 5,000 pounds (about $7,930) worth of electrical goods in the back.
The jury, who deliberated for nine hours, however found her not guilty of burglary at a Curry’s store in Charlton, south east London.
Judge Patricia Lees said: “You have been convicted of serious offences and those offences are aggravated by the fact that they were committed within the time-frame of the civil unrest last summer in London.
“As far as this spree of burglaries and handling goods that you both took a willing part in will attract most certainly in my mind attract the likelihood of a custodial sentence.”
She had told the court that she was ordered to act as his driver Aug 8 and was too frightened to flee.
Johnson will be sentenced May 3.
- Millionaire's daughter, postman among London looters - Aug 11, 2011
- Hilton's stalker faces three-year jail - May 03, 2011
- George Michael released from prison after four weeks - Oct 11, 2010
- Hudson's brother-in-law guilty for murder - May 12, 2012
- London riots: Home secretary cuts short holiday, 100 held - Aug 08, 2011
- British woman jailed for prostituting teenaged girl - Aug 02, 2012
- Paris Hilton's home intruder convicted - May 02, 2011
- Prince Charles' ex-harpist escapes jail term - Dec 23, 2009
- Indian-origin man burned to death in London - Feb 26, 2012
- Man insured wife two days before killing her - Feb 25, 2012
- Oz school mistress jailed for 5 years for sexually abusing boys - Mar 24, 2011
- Court upholds life term for nurse's rapist (Lead) - Nov 23, 2011
- Olympic Gymnast Shawn Johnson Testifies Fear of Stalker - Jun 11, 2010
- Burglar who targetted elderly women gets 15 years in jail - Jun 08, 2011
- Victim asks court to jail Pakistani rapist for life - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: burglaries, burglary, charlton, civil unrest, comet, crime spree, curry, custodial sentence, daily telegraph, electrical goods, greenwich, jail term, laura johnson, likelihood, london riots, millionaire, orpington kent, smart car, south east london, willing participant