Military talks between North and South Korea startSeptember 30th, 2010 - 5:32 pm ICT by ANI
Seoul, Sep 30 (ANI): The Republic of Korea (ROK) and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) began military talks on Thursday, according to defense officials in Seoul.
The South Korean Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that North Korea has agreed to hold working-level military talks on Thursday, which will mark the first such talks in nearly two years.
In a message to South Korea, the DPRK agreed to hold the talks at the truce village of Panmunjom on September 30, the date Seoul suggested, Xinhua reports.
The two Koreas are expected to discuss pending military issues, possibly including Pyongyang’s alleged torpedo attack on a South Korean warship in March in what will be the first military contact after the incident, which killed 46 sailors.
The last such military talks between Seoul and Pyongyang, former wartime rivals, were held in October 2008. (ANI)
- South Korea, DPRK hold Red Cross talks on family reunion - Sep 17, 2010
- N.Korea, S. Korea military talks break down over 'The Cheonan' sinking controversy - Oct 01, 2010
- North Korea demands own probe into 'Cheonan' sinking - Jul 17, 2010
- S Korea, US to hold more antisubmarine drills - Aug 19, 2010
- Talks between UNC and DPRK over S.Korean sunken warship postponed - Jul 13, 2010
- South Korea labels North Korea 'enemy' in latest defense White Paper - Dec 30, 2010
- South Korea agrees to hold talks with North Korea - Jan 21, 2011
- S.Korea begins Yellow Sea anti-submarine drills, cocks a snook on N.Korea - Aug 05, 2010
- China reaffirms stance on sinking of S.Korean ship 'Cheonan' - Jul 08, 2010
- S Korea says Pyongyang's renewed call for inter-Korean talks 'lacks sincerity' - Jan 10, 2011
- US-South Korean military drills violate sovereignty: N.Korea - Jul 23, 2010
- S.Korea proposes to hold 'high-level inter-Korean military talks' on February 11 - Jan 26, 2011
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- China's 'guarded response' puts onus on both Koreas to establish peace in Peninsula - Nov 24, 2010
- North Korea says only dialogue with South can resolve crisis on Korean Peninsula - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: defense officials, dprk, koreas, military issues, military talks, north korea, pyongyang, republic of korea, rivals, rok, s republic of korea, sailors, seoul, south korea, south korean defense, south korean defense ministry, torpedo attack, truce village of panmunjom, warship, xinhua