Military plane crashes in Ecuador’s capitalMarch 20th, 2009 - 9:56 am ICT by admin
Quito, ECUADOR (BNO NEWS) — Several buildings are on fire after a small military plane crashed in Ecuador’s Quito on Thursday afternoon, officials say.
A plane, which is reported to be a military Beechcraft aircraft, went down at 5.30 p.m. local time and emergency services were still rushing to the scene nearly one hour later.
The crash happened about 200 meters from Hotel Quito where the U.S. ambassador to Ecuador is staying, he was not affected by the crash, according to an embassy spokeswoman.
The plane was carrying a total of three people, all who were killed, said Defense Minister Javier Ponce. Local media earlier said up to 7 people were on board.
A local radio station also reported at least 3 people were injured on the ground. An apartment complex was engulfed in flames shortly after the crash and at least one person was rescued from the third floor of the building.
There was intense fog in the capital when the plane went down. Thick black smoke is rising above the city skyline.
- Small plane crashes at Long Beach Airport in California - Mar 17, 2011
- Seven die as military plane crashes into building in Ecuador capital - Mar 20, 2009
- Small passenger plane crashes during bad weather in Nepal, killing 16 - Sep 25, 2011
- Five die in Los Angeles-area plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- Two killed after small plane crashes near Dayton, OH airport - Apr 02, 2010
- Four die in Ecuador gold mine blast - Feb 24, 2012
- Five die in California small plane crash - Mar 17, 2011
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- Four die in Brazil plane crash - Feb 17, 2012
- 16 killed in Brazil plane crash - Jul 13, 2011
- Authorities identify victims of Alaska "Con Air"-movie plane crash - Aug 03, 2010
- Charter plane crashes in Pakistan's Karachi, killing 21 people - Nov 05, 2010
- Nigeria mourns plane crash victims - Jun 04, 2012
- Multiple fatalities after large plane crashes in Alaska - Aug 02, 2010
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: ambassador, apartment, beechcraft aircraft, bno, capital quito, city skyline, crash, defense minister, emergency services, flames, fog, local media, local radio station, local time, military plane, plane crashes, ponce, quito ecuador, spokeswoman, thursday afternoon