Military helicopter crashes in northern Colombia, killing 13May 1st, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by BNO News
BOGOTA, COLOMBIA (BNO NEWS) — A Colombian Air Force helicopter crashed in the northern region of the country on late Monday afternoon, killing all thirteen people on board, defense officials said on Tuesday. The cause was not immediately known.
The accident happened at around 4:30 p.m. local time when the Bell 212 helicopter, which was assigned to Air Combat Command Number 3, crashed into a horse stable at the ‘Buenavista’ ranch in Sabanagrande, a town in Colombia’s Atlantico department.
The aircraft was carrying out a transport mission linked to the planning and development of a Nudo Paramillo Task Force operation and was flying from the industrial port city of Barranquilla to Caucasia in Antioquia department, an air force spokesperson said in a statement.
Officials said the aircraft was being flown by Major Jorge Abel Cardona, who died in the accident. Six other Air Force service members and six police officers were also killed, bringing the total death toll to thirteen. There were no survivors, and there were no reports of casualties on the ground. It was not known if horses died in the accident.
“The Air Force has sent a team to the scene to carry out the investigation and determine the causes of the accident,” the Air Force spokesperson said, giving no other details. Some Colombian media reports said the aircraft may have been on fire before it went down.
In March 2011, five people were killed and four others were injured when two UH-1H helicopters, belonging to Colombia’s Air Force Helicopter School, crashed during a training operation in Melgar, which is located around 72 kilometers (45 miles) southeast of Bogota. Among those killed was a Mexican officer who was participating in the training operation.
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- One dead, 120 injured in Colombia plane crash - Aug 17, 2010
- 170 canaries seized from bus in Colombia - Aug 30, 2011
- Nine survive military helicopter crash in Colombia - Dec 05, 2011
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Salsa singer hurt in accident in Colombia - May 01, 2012
- Miracle in Colombia: All but one survive AIRES jet crash - Aug 16, 2010
- Six including a general killed in Brazil chopper collision - Apr 21, 2010
- Soccer player slain in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Chopper crash kills nine policemen in Colombia - Jun 12, 2011
- Colombia's FARC number 2 rebel commander "Mono Jojoy" killed - Sep 24, 2010
- Eight die in Guatemala helicopter crash - Feb 29, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- 16 killed in Colombia coal mine explosion (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: air combat command, air force helicopter, atlantico, barranquilla, bell 212, bno, bogota colombia, buenavista ranch, cardona, colombian air force, colombian media, defense officials, helicopter crashes, helicopter school, horse stable, melgar, military helicopter, northern colombia, nudo, service members