Military action against Iran premature: DempseyJanuary 27th, 2012 - 5:10 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 27 (IANS) US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Martin Dempsey has said that it is “premature” to use military force against Iran over its nuclear program. A conflict with Iran now will be “economically destabilizing”, he said.
“I do think the path we’re on — the economic sanctions and the diplomatic pressure — does seem to me to be having an effect,” Dempsey said, adding “I just think that it’s premature to be deciding that the economic and diplomatic approach is inadequate.”
“A conflict with Iran would be really destabilizing, and I’m not just talking from the security perspective,” he said. “It would be economically destabilizing,” he said in an interview with the National Journal.
The US and its allies are pressuring Iran to engage in talks over its nuclear program. They say it is a cover for making nuclear weapons. Iran has denied the claim.
Dempsey’s remarks came two days after President Barack Obama vowed to keep all options on the table to force Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, Xinhua reported Thursday.
“America is determined to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and I will take no options off the table to achieve that goal,” the president said in his annual State of the Union address Tuesday night.
- US warns Iran against making 'gross misjudgement' - Mar 18, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- US asking India to 'wean' from Iranian crude - Feb 18, 2012
- Wean from Iranian crude, US tells India, Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Still a window for diplomacy on Iran: Obama - Mar 06, 2012
- US, India think alike on Iran: Clinton - May 08, 2012
- Military strike against Iran would be a mistake: Russia - Nov 07, 2011
- Iran nuclear-programme could start cold war: Hague - Feb 18, 2012
- WSJ: U.S. military seeks more powerful bomb against Iran - Jan 28, 2012
- Iran's nuke-related demands prerequisites, not pre-conditions, says key official - Jan 23, 2011
- Obama sees no basis for Iranian attack on US - Feb 06, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Publisher regrets suggesting Obama assassination - Jan 22, 2012
- US agencies see no move by Iran for nuclear bomb - Feb 26, 2012
Tags: allies, barack obama, chairman martin, chiefs of staff, diplomatic approach, diplomatic pressure, economic sanctions, iran, joint chiefs of staff, military action, military force, nuclear ambitions, nuclear program, nuclear weapon, nuclear weapons, security perspective, state of the union, state of the union address, union address tuesday night, xinhua