Militants kill 11 in AfghanistanJune 6th, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 6 (IANS) At least 11 people, including an army soldier, were killed by insurgents in Logar province, 60 km south of Kabul, Xinhua quoted a spokesman of the local government as saying Monday.
“An unspecified number of people were kidnapped by insurgents in the vicinity of the provincial capital Pul-e-Alam district along the highway connecting capital Kabul to Paktia province Sunday night but so far 11 dead bodies were found,” Din Mohammad Darwish said.
He said due to unspecified reasons, the highway was blocked for hours late Sunday but some people drove through villages where their vehicles were stopped by militants.
“Several people were taken to unknown locations,” Darwish added.
He said it could not be immediately known whether any people were still in the insurgents’ captivity.
No group or individual has claimed responsibility for the incident.
On April 30, Taliban insurgents had announced a spring offensive against Afghan and NATO-led forces stationed in the country.
The militant group warned people to stop supporting government and foreign troops or they would be attacked.
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills three in Afghanistan - Jan 03, 2012
- Five bodies found in Afghan province - Aug 02, 2012
- 48 killed in Kabul terror siege (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 11 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Sep 09, 2012
- Taliban's 'spring offensive' continues in Afghanistan - Apr 16, 2012
- Blasts rock Kabul as security forces fight Taliban (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Taliban free Turkish engineers after eight months - Sep 04, 2011
- Haqqani network leader held in Afghanistan - Nov 30, 2011
- Taliban commander disguised in women's clothes killed - Jun 26, 2010
- 40 Taliban militants killed - Aug 12, 2012
- Afghan attacks show NATO's failure: Karzai - Apr 16, 2012
- 33 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: afghan, afghanistan kabul, alam, army soldier, capital kabul, captivity, darwish, dead bodies, insurgents, local government, logar, militant group, mohammad, nato, paktia province, provincial capital, spokesman, taliban, vicinity, xinhua