Militants kidnap 11 policemen in Pakistan’s Khyber areaMarch 29th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 29 (DPA) Islamist militants Sunday kidnapped 11 tribal policemen following an attack on a checkpoint in northwestern Pakistan bordering Afghanistan, an official said.
The gunmen forced the Khasadar policemen to surrender all weapons after laying siege to the Shin Qamar post in Khyber tribal district, a hub of militant activity.
“They pushed the Khasadars into their vehicles and sped away,” said Manzoor Ahmed, an official of the local administration.
According to Ahmed, one abductee managed to escape from the militants’ custody and reached to safety later in the day.
“It is believed the insurgents transported the kidnapped policemen to neighbouring Orakzai region,” Ahmed said while referring to one of Pakistan’s seven tribal districts currently containing Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.
No group claimed responsibility for the abductions.
The kidnappings came two days after a suicide bombing on a mosque in Jamrud area of the Khyber region killed at least 53 people and wounded 160 others.
Khyber used to be calmer relative to other tribal districts, but it has seen a surge in violence in recent months, with dozens of attacks on Pakistani security forces as well as supplies ferried through the area for US and NATO troops fighting the Taliban militants in Afghanistan.
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- 9 securitymen, 15 militants killed in Pakistan clash - Oct 17, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- 6 injured in rocket attack at Pakistani governor's meet - Oct 11, 2011
- 2 NATO tankers destroyed by militants in Pakistan - Dec 20, 2010
- 15 abducted Pakistani troopers killed - Jan 05, 2012
- Suicide bombing in Pakistan kills 15 (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Suicide bombing kills 10 in Pakistan - Feb 10, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops kill eight Taliban rebels - Apr 25, 2010
- Air strike, clashes kill 124 militants in Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 10, 2010
- 29 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 10, 2010
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- One dead in Pakistan blast - Feb 15, 2012
- Afghan cross-border attacks can damage relations: Gilani - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: abductee, abductions, al qaeda, checkpoint, dpa, gunmen, insurgents, islamist militants, khyber, kidnappings, local administration, militant activity, mosque, nato, nato troops, northwestern pakistan, policemen, security forces, taliban, tribal districts