Militants hurl grenade in Srinagar, 12 wounded (Lead)September 17th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 17 (IANS) At least 12 people were injured Wednesday when separatist guerrillas hurled a grenade at a paramilitary vehicle in a bustling market area in this summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.The incident took place when the guerrillas targeted a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) vehicle in the Budshah Chowk area near the business hub Lal Chowk.
“The grenade exploded near a passenger minibus resulting in injuries to 11 people and a CRPF trooper,” a police officer told IANS.
The injured were evacuated to hospital.
According to eyewitnesses, Budshah Chowk - one of the main shopping centres here - was overcrowded with shoppers when the grenade attack took place.
No group immediately owned responsibility.
The attack comes as life was returning to normalcy after weeks of unrest over the bitter Amarnath land row, which sparked off violent pro-freedom demonstration in the Kashmir Valley, particularly in Srinagar.
At least 50 people were killed, mostly in police and paramilitary firing, during the over two month stir over the land transfer to a Hindu shrine board.
- Five civilians injured in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2011
- Six wounded in Srinagar grenade explosion - Sep 17, 2008
- Five CRPF troopers injured in Kashmir attack - Jun 17, 2012
- Four attacks injure four in Kashmir - Oct 25, 2011
- Two tourists killed in gas cylinder blast, not grenade: Police (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Five injured in Kashmir blast (Lead) - Oct 26, 2011
- Civilian killed in Srinagar's Lal Chowk firing (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- Policeman dead as militants attack busy Kashmir market (Fifth Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Six injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Jun 24, 2011
- Four injured in Kashmir attack (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Two CRPF men injured in Srinagar - Mar 15, 2012
- Ten injured in Pulwama grenade attacks - Dec 14, 2010
- Three killed, eight injured in Kashmir attacks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- Four injured in Srinagar grenade explosion - Dec 14, 2010
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011