Militants behead hostage in PhilippinesMay 18th, 2009 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, May 18 (DPA) Muslim militants beheaded a 61-year-old farmer they abducted in the southern Philippines last month, a military spokesman said Monday.
The severed head of Doroteo Gonzales was found Sunday in a remote village in Akbar town in Basilan province, 900 km south of Manila, Captain Neil Estrella said.
The head was identified by Gonzales’ son Monday, Estrella said.
“But we will still need to verify this identification through laboratory tests,” he said. “We need to conduct further examination to confirm the identification.”
Estrella said Gonzales was abducted by Muslim Abu Sayyaf rebels in mid-April in a remote village in nearby Zamboanga City. The hostage was then brought to Basilan.
He said Gonzales was believed to have been held by the same group of Abu Sayyaf guerrillas that was holding captive a Sri Lankan peace advocate, six school teachers and a lending firm employee.
The rebels have demanded various amounts of ransom for the hostages, but the Philippine government follows a no-ransom policy.
On the nearby island of Jolo, a separate group of Abu Sayyaf rebels had been holding captive an Italian Red Cross worker for the past four months.
Aside from kidnappings for ransom, the Abu Sayyaf rebels have been responsible for some of the worst terrorist attacks in the Philippines.
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Freed Swiss Red Cross hostage leaves for Switzerland - Apr 21, 2009
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Emergency declared as beheading deadline up in Philippines - Mar 31, 2009
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- Islamic militants release two captive soldiers in Philippines - Jun 13, 2008
- Militants free kidnapped TV crew in Philippines - Jun 18, 2008
- Three killed in Philippines ambush - Apr 06, 2009
- Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clash - Jun 11, 2009
- Indian kidnapped in Philippines set free - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian who dodged Philippine rebels to return by Tuesday - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: abducted, abu sayyaf rebels, basilan province, captain neil, cross worker, estrella, guerrillas, kidnappings, laboratory tests, military spokesman, muslim militants, nearby island, peace advocate, philippine government, philippines manila, ransom, school teachers, southern philippines, sri lankan, zamboanga city