Militants attack police post, kidnap six in AfghanistanJuly 12th, 2009 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, July 12 (Xinhua) Taliban insurgents have raided a police checkpoint and taken away six policemen in the relatively peaceful northwest Faryab province, police said Sunday.
“A group of armed insurgents raided a police checkpoint in Ghormach district Saturday night and apparently took away six policemen to unknown locations,” Mohammad Afzal Imamzada, a senior police officer in the province, told Xinhua.
There has been no trace of the policemen yet, he added.
Meanwhile, four soldiers belonging to the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) have been killed in a blast in southern Afghanistan, the alliance said in a statement Sunday.
“Four ISAF service members were killed as a result of improvised explosive device (IED) strikes from insurgents that occurred on July 11 in southern Afghanistan,” the release said.
However, it did not mention the nationality of the victims and the exact place of the incident, but added another service member succumbed to wounds received in a combat in Afghanistan last month.
The coalition forces have launched a major offensive against the insurgents in the southern Hemland province since July 2, forcing the militants to expand their activities in the northern provinces.
- Two NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan blast - Jul 23, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- 22 Taliban insurgents killed - Oct 17, 2011
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Five NATO soldiers die in Afghanistan: ISAF - Jul 31, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in eastern Afghanistan - Aug 03, 2011
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Oct 31, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan - Sep 03, 2012
- 14 killed in Afghan clashes - Aug 22, 2010
- Four NATO soldiers die in southern Afghanistan - May 12, 2012
- NATO soldier dies in Afghanistan - Apr 29, 2012
- 20 Taliban militants killed - Jun 24, 2012
- Militants kill five civilians in Afghanistan - Nov 25, 2010
- Security developments in Afghanistan, Jan 24 - Jan 25, 2010
- Roadside bomb kills nine taxi passengers in northern Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: afghanistan kabul, attack police, coalition forces, exact place, explosive device, faryab province, insurgents, international security assistance, isaf, mohammad afzal, nationality, northern provinces, police checkpoint, police officer, police post, policemen, service member, service members, southern afghanistan, xinhua