Militant violence leaves six dead in PakistanDecember 21st, 2008 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 21 (DPA) At least six people were killed in a rocket attack and executions carried out by suspected Taliban militants in northwest Pakistan, officials said Sunday.Islamist insurgents fired four rockets on various locations in Bannu district of North West Frontier Province (NWFP) late Saturday.
“Two of these were aimed at the city police station but they missed the target and hit a construction company office. Two of its employees were killed,” said a local police officer Zaheer Ahmad.
The other two landed close to a private hospital and in a football ground, causing no damage.
Bannu borders the troubled North Waziristan tribal district, a sanctuary of pro-Taliban militants and Al Qaeda fighters, who launch cross border attacks on NATO-led international forces as well as target Pakistani police and military targets.
The authorities in North Waziristan Sunday discovered the bodies of two men shot dead by militants on suspicion of spying for US forces, a local security official said.
“Anyone spying for the Americans will meet the same fate,” read a note left with the dumped bodies.
In restive Swat district of NWFP, a former local councillor Faridoon and his son Karmullah were killed by unknown gunmen.
A local police official who spoke on condition of anonymity said the bodies of two men were dumped near their residence in Mingora, the main town in the scenic valley which was a popular tourist destination till last year when a pro-Taliban cleric Maulana Fazlullah launched an armed rebellion against the security forces.
His followers have carried out dozens of executions of local politicians and those opposing their narrowly-defined form of Islam.
- Militant violence leaves 15 dead in Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 21, 2008
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- Taliban kill six alleged US spies in Pakistan - Jan 24, 2010
- Car bombings kill 13 in northwestern Pakistan (Second Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- 32 killed in clashes in north-west Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Three killed in blast at Pakistani police station (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- One killed in attack on Pakistani police station - Jul 16, 2012
- Four policemen killed, six injured in suicide attack on check post in NWFP - Apr 28, 2010
- Three children among seven killed in Pakistan - May 13, 2010
- Bannu suicide bomber kills five including two policemen, scores injured - Nov 30, 2010
- 15 abducted Pakistani troopers killed - Jan 05, 2012
- Taliban kill four people in northwest Pakistan on suspicion of spying for US - Feb 06, 2011
- US drone strikes kill around 60 alleged militants in Pakistan within 24 hours - Dec 18, 2010
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- Roadside bombs kill six in Pakistan (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010