Mikki Nicholson spells success in UK Scrabble championshipNovember 1st, 2010 - 12:30 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 01 (ANI): Mikki Nicholson has won the Scrabble championship in UK.
Nicholson, 32, from Cumbria, took the crown with the word “obeisant”, which scored 86 points and won 1,500 pounds prize money.
She outplayed Mark Nyman, who has won more than 20 major Scrabble contests, including the World Championship.
Other words used in the final were “inficete”, meaning unfunny, and “oceanaut”, an undersea explorer.
“It was a big challenge but I wouldn’t have entered if I didn’t think I had a chance of winning,” the BBC quoted Nicholson, who learned to play the game on the internet five years ago, as saying.
Explaining her route to victory, Nicholson said, “A good Scrabble player is intuitive. They also need to be good with numbers.
“People think Scrabble is just about words, but it’s the numbers that win the game so a sound mathematical brain is an advantage.
“The best word I played was ‘inficete’ as it changed the flow of the game and my best move was when I played ‘tenor’, as it allowed me to open up the board for me to play a high-scoring K,” Nicholson added.
A Scrabble spokeswoman said, “Scrabble is a game for anyone to enjoy, loved by generations of families, men and women and anyone.” (ANI)
- 'Colourful' transsexual wins UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- Scrabble rules set to change - Apr 06, 2010
- Scrabble cheat kicked out of tournament - Aug 20, 2012
- Two Scrabble fanatics celebrate a million points between them - Jul 17, 2012
- Cook urges consistency, Clarke wants review - Jul 11, 2012
- Scrabble bosses slammed over use of abusive words - Aug 29, 2010
- Vindu, Sonakshi fight it out on scrabble (With images) (Movie Snippets) - Apr 17, 2011
- India boys beat Pakistan, grab maiden Asian Junior Squash - Jan 30, 2011
- Cole, Fortune tip Manchester United to win EPL - Apr 11, 2012
- Dhoni against playing extra bowler in World Cup clash against Ireland - Mar 05, 2011
- Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finals - May 04, 2012
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Strauss praises team for splendid show - Aug 22, 2011
- Obama spending rain-hit holiday playing Scrabble - Aug 25, 2010
- Caruana takes sole lead in AAI Chess - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: bbc, contests, game, generations, london, mathematical brain, men and women, mikki, nicholson 32, nyman, obeisant, prize money, scrabble, scrabble player, spokeswoman, tenor, undersea explorer, victory