Mike ‘Love Guru’ Myers would love to be in a Bollywood filmJune 19th, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 19 (IANS) Mike Myers, the star and writer of the controversial comedy “The Love Guru”, which opens Friday in North America, has said that he would “love to be in a Bollywood film”. Talking to the South Asian press here Wednesday, he said: “If a Bollywood director wants to hire a 45-year-old Scottish-English-Canadian actor, who does comedy, I’m their man.”
“The Love Guru”, which is inspired by new age guru Deepak Chopra and pokes fun at the way the West is co-opting spirituality and not the religion or Hinduism, as some protesting Hindus believed after watching just the trailer.
The film’s trailer has some Bollywood style elements, even a dance sequence in which Jessica Alba wears an orange sari.
Myers, who plays Guru Pitka in the film, also said the protesting Hindu groups should have first seen the film. Incidentally, people, including journalists, who have seen the film at previews have not found it offensive to Hindus.
Myers, famous for the hugely successful Austin Powers films, said they were closer to a Bollywood musical than being a parody of James Bond as believed. “You will find in them the same colour palette that you would see in a Bollywood film,” he said.
Given a chance to work in a Bollywood film, Myers said he would love to document the experience for HBO, comparing and contrasting the experience of a working actor there and in Hollywood.
Myers, who turned to spirituality after his father died some 15 years ago, became close to Chopra after reading his books. The two have appeared in some stand up events in New York and Toronto where Myers would imitate Chopra’s accent, as he does throughout the film.
Chopra plays a cameo as himself in the film and Indian American actor Manu Narayan plays Guru Pitka’s student.
“The Love Guru” will be released in India later, but, because of its theme, it is specially being promoted among the South Asian community in the US and Canada.
- Hindus, who protested "Love Guru", congratulate Mike Myers on marriage - Mar 07, 2011
- Hindus, who protested Love Guru, wish Mike Myers good luck on Austin Powers 4 - Apr 30, 2010
- 'Barfi' not a silent film, says Anurag Basu - Jul 04, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt compares 'Jism 2' to 'Last Tango In Paris' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 06, 2012
- Hindus protest against Hollywood film The Love Guru - Jun 19, 2008
- SRK begins his first ever shooting schedule in Kashmir Valley - Aug 27, 2012
- Hrithik gets a fan in Yash Chopra - Nov 09, 2011
- 'Love Guru' controversy is tempest in teapot: Indian American - Apr 27, 2008
- Ranbir assures 'no disability' in 'Barfi' - Jul 03, 2012
- Kainaz wants to take Aamir for a drive (With Image) - Jun 27, 2012
- Ajay's fan gets inked with 'Singham' tattoo (Movie Snippets) - Sep 20, 2011
- SRK to shoot Yash Chopra's movie in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2012
- 'Barfee' not a serious film, says Ranbir - Oct 31, 2011
- 'Barfi!' to hit screens July 13 (With Image) - Jan 05, 2012
- Get ready for action, thrill, comedy this Friday - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: american actor, austin powers, bollywood film, canadian actor, colour palette, dance sequence, deepak chopra, film new, hindu groups, hinduism, hindus, jessica alba, manu narayan, mike love, mike myers, pitka, sari, scottish english, south asian community, style elements