Migrant wins legal battle over lottery ticketMarch 13th, 2012 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
Atlanta (US), March 13 (IANS/EFE) An undocumented immigrant living in Georgia who claimed that his boss stole a winning lottery ticket from him was declared by a jury to be the legitimate winner of the $750,000 prize.
Jose Antonio “Tony” Cua-Toc, a 27-year-old Guatemalan, accused Erick Cervantes, for whom Cua-Toc was working temporarily when he bought the ticket that the employer then allegedly stole.
As Cua-Toc said in his testimony, he asked Cervantes to claim the $750,000 prize because he thought that he could not do so due to his irregular immigration status, but instead of handing over the money Cervantes fired him and accused him of threatening him.
Cua-Toc was jailed in November 2010 for making “terrorist threats” against Cervantes and his family.
Georgia law permits the sale of lottery tickets to foreigners over the age of 18, but it makes no reference to immigration status.
Cervantes originally said that the ticket belonged to him because he had given Cua-Toc the money to buy it, but the jury found last Thursday that the ticket belonged to the Guatemalan because he had made the purchase.
The total amount of the prize was reduced to $517,000 after taxes, but Cervantes and his wife have already spent about $223,000 of that money, according to documents presented in court.
Cua-Toc is currently serving a 44-day sentence for drunk driving and could be deported after he finishes that time behind bars.
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Winners of Spain Christmas lottery to share $5.2 mn - Dec 24, 2011
- Lady Luck smiles on labour, honesty takes spotlight - Feb 25, 2012
- An unusual Spanish literary award ceremony - Apr 24, 2012
- Woman finds winning lottery ticket while cleaning purse - Apr 07, 2011
- Oregon Lottery Turns Two People Into Millionaires - Nov 24, 2010
- Kidnapped Mexican singer found dead - Feb 13, 2012
- Cuban dissident ends month-long hunger strike - Jun 28, 2011
- Roaring sales of Kerala Onam lottery tickets - Aug 26, 2012
- Writers are mendicants, says Mexican poet - Apr 25, 2010
- Pulitzer Prize winner admits to being illegal immigrant - Jun 23, 2011
- Colombian oil company to invest $8.48 bn in 2012 - Nov 23, 2011
- Maumee Resident Wins $200,000 In Ohio Lottery - Jul 30, 2010
- Simon Cowell supports lottery game - Oct 04, 2011
- Briton scoops 148-mn-pound jackpot - Aug 11, 2012