Midlife crisis could be linked with dementiaMay 8th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 8 (IANS) If you are overcome by a sense of hopelessness, especially during your mid or later life, it could be a sign that your are heading for dementia, the mental decline caused by Alzheimer’s.
“Prevalence and costs of AD (Alzheimer disease) and other dementia are projected to rise dramatically during the next 40 years unless a prevention or a cure can be found,” write researchers from University of California, San Francisco.
“Therefore, it is critical to gain a greater understanding of the key risk factors and etiologic underpinnings of dementia from a population-based perspective,” the Archives of General Psychiatry journal quoted them as saying.
Some symptoms of early dementia are forgetting names, appointments, losing things, difficulty in driving, cooking, doing household chores, personality changes (becoming withdrawn), uncharacteristic behaviour, mood swings, and behaviour disorder.
Deborah E. Barnes from the university and the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Centre and colleagues evaluated data from 13,535 long-term Kaiser Permanent members.
Barnes also examined depressive symptoms assessed in midlife (1964-73) and in late life (1994-2000) and risks of developing dementia.
Depressive symptoms were present in 14.1 percent of study participants in midlife, 9.2 percent in late life and 4.2 percent in both.
During six years of follow-up, 22.5 percent of patients were diagnosed with dementia and 5.5 percent with Alzheimer disease.
- Healthy lifestyle can help cut Alzheimer risk - Jul 19, 2011
- Simple lifestyle changes can prevent Alzheimer's - Jul 19, 2011
- Hormone therapy use may increase or decrease dementia risk - Nov 19, 2010
- Obesity may be linked to dementia - Mar 07, 2011
- High cholesterol in midlife 'ups late-life dementia risk' - Aug 05, 2009
- Dementia linked to midlife weight crisis - May 03, 2011
- Study: Smoking doubles the risk of Alzheimer's disease and dementia - Oct 27, 2010
- Depression 'doubles dementia risk' - Jul 06, 2010
- Novel tool to predict Alzheimer's risk in elderly developed - May 14, 2009
- Inability to detect sarcasm, lies may be early sign of dementia - Apr 16, 2011
- New tool can help predict Alzheimer's risk - May 14, 2009
- Brain size linked to early Alzheimer's risk - Dec 28, 2011
- Mid-aged women with high cholesterol not at risk for Alzheimer - Nov 11, 2010
- Apathy, depression may increase dementia risk - Jul 13, 2010
- Depression is a risk factor, not an early sign of Alzheimer's - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,