Microsoft rules out new takeover bid for YahooNovember 20th, 2008 - 4:49 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Nov 20 (DPA) Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Wednesday ruled out a new takeover bid for troubled web portal Yahoo, but stressed that the software giant was still interested in partnering with Yahoo on search-related products.Ballmer’s comments to a meeting of Microsoft’s shareholders were the first from the company since the announcement Monday that Jerry Yang was stepping down as Yahoo CEO. That move was seen as raising the chances for a Microsoft buyout since Yang had been the company’s staunchest opponent of the deal that valued Yahoo at $47.5 billion - more than three times what it is now worth.
The comments by the Microsoft boss sent Yahoo’s shares plunging by as much as 20 percent after they had rallied on news of Yang’s move.
“We thought we had something that made sense. But it didn’t make sense to them. We’ve moved on,” said Ballmer at Microsoft’s annual shareholders meeting. “Let me be clear. We are done with all acquisition discussions with Yahoo.”
However he stressed that a partnership between Microsoft and Yahoo in the internet search market is “an interesting possibility”. Such an alliance would help the companies challenge Google, which dominates the US online advertising market that is expected to grow 25 percent this year.
- Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang steps down (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Microsoft-Yahoo search deal imminent: Report - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo Ascends in 2010 After Reports Of Buyout Keenness In KKR - Nov 10, 2010
- Yahoo, Microsoft link up in challenge to Google (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo, Microsoft reach search and ad partnership (Lead) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo shares plunge after another Microsoft rejection - Nov 08, 2008
- Yahoo to acquire Interclick for $270 mn - Nov 02, 2011
- Will Microsoft buy BlackBerry to take on Apple? - May 06, 2011
- Yahoo names new CEO - Jan 05, 2012
- Yahoo co-founder, chief Yang to step down - Nov 18, 2008
- Yahoo names new CEO (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Yahoo Inc Lays Off 600 Employees - Dec 15, 2010
- Yahoo to buy back stocks worth $3 bn - Jul 01, 2010
- Microsoft, Yahoo join forces to challenge Google (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2009
- Yahoo's search migrates to Microsoft - Aug 25, 2010