Michelle Obama, Wal-Mart team up for healthy food campaignJanuary 21st, 2011 - 1:13 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 21 (ANI): Retail giant Wal-Mart is collaborating with US First Lady Michelle Obama to launch an extensive five-year plan to make its food healthier and more affordable.
The move is part of her signature campaign to fight childhood obesity, and Wal-Mart has pledged to slash prices on fruits and veggies and make thousands of its packaged foods lower in fats and sugars, reports the Telegraph.
Michelle described the company’s new initiative as ‘a huge victory for folks all across this country’ and said it has the ‘potential to transform the marketplace’.
“When I see a company like Wal-Mart launch an initiative like this, I feel more hopeful than ever before. We can improve how we make and sell food in this country,” she said.
As part of its initiative, Wal-Mart will make thousands of its packaged foods healthier and cheaper by 2015, build more stores in poor areas and increase its donations to nutrition programmes.
Sodium and sugar will be reduced in some Wal-Mart foods and the price of fresh produce lowered.
“No family should have to choose between food that is healthier for them and food they can afford,” said Bill Simon, Wal-Mart’s president, in a statement.
“With more than 140 million customers each week, Wal-Mart is uniquely positioned to make a difference by making food healthier and more affordable to everyone,” he said.
Healthy eating and tackling childhood is the centrepiece of Michelle’s agenda as First Lady and it is the first time that she has given her approval to the work of a single company. (ANI)
- Wal-Mart Q3 profit below estimates - Nov 16, 2011
- Michelle Obama hails 1.5 trillion calorie cut efforts by food manufacturers - May 18, 2010
- Wal-Mart to target 35,000 Indian farmers for agri-business supply chain by 2015 - Oct 26, 2010
- Wal-Mart & Target engage in a price war over toys - Nov 09, 2010
- Wal-Mart showcases a new postpaid cell phone plan - Sep 14, 2010
- Mexico probes Wal-Mart bribery allegations - Apr 27, 2012
- Wal-Mart looking into the reasons why their Black Friday 2010 ads was leaked - Nov 15, 2010
- Wal-Mart Intends To Execute $2 Billion Drive To Lessen Hunger - May 13, 2010
- Wal-Mart Intends To Terminate Extra Pay For Its Employees Functioning On Sunday - Dec 09, 2010
- FDI strike hits trade and business across Bengal - Dec 01, 2011
- Wal-Mart unveils huge greenhouse cuts - Feb 26, 2010
- FDI move will ruin Indian retail trade: CPI-M - Sep 21, 2012
- Wal-Mart Hit By Shoplifting Amidst Cyber Monday Sales Season - Nov 28, 2010
- Wal-Mart withdraws toxic 'Miley Cyrus jewelry' - May 20, 2010
- Wal-Mart to cut 300 positions at Arkansas HQ - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: bill simon, centrepiece, childhood obesity, fats, first lady, food campaign, fresh produce, fruits and veggies, healthy food, initiative, jan 21, london jan, michelle obama, poor areas, retail giant, signature campaign, single company, sodium, telegraph, wal mart