Michelle Obama turns Soup-er Woman to feed the homelessMarch 6th, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 6 (ANI): US first lady Michelle Obama clearly believes in the saying lead by example as she was seen donning an apron and serving dinner to the homeless people in Washington DC.
Those who visited the soup kitchen, which was just a few streets from the White House, were stunned to see the President’’s wife standing with a spoon in hand behind the counter.
My job is here to serve you, Sky News quoted her as telling diners as she dished up bowls of mushroom risotto and broccoli.
A fruit salad was put together with food donations from Presidential staff.
One of the visitors, George Rivera couldn”t believe his eyes when he saw Michelle.
I never imagined this, not in a hundred years, he said.
The first lady, who said that times are tough and plenty of people need a helping hand, described Miriam’’s Kitchen as an example of what we can do as a country and a community to help folks when they are down.
She added that if people can”t afford to donate food or money then they should donate their time instead. (ANI)
- First Lady Has Lunch with D.C. Homeless - Mar 10, 2009
- 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra - May 08, 2012
- Will Michelle Obamas Soup-er Woman avatar influence what people eat? - Mar 07, 2009
- Potatoes back on menus as healthy meal - Apr 26, 2011
- Heidi Klum volunteers for food charity - Jul 26, 2012
- There's more to Italian food than pizzas, pastas - Jun 04, 2012
- Chubritza to lokum, delightfully Turkish - in Kolkata! (Eating Out With IANS) - Jun 12, 2011
- A window to Nigerian delicacies in Indian capital (With Images) - Aug 05, 2011
- Pineapple halwa, to chicken shami kebab for the Obamas - Nov 08, 2010
- Indian platter goes casual; eateries reap bounty - Oct 23, 2011
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Scotland reclaims world porridge prize after chef uses innovative spoon - Oct 11, 2010
- Basmati rice aroma to waft through global dishes - Nov 23, 2011
- Hell's Kitchen: Who Goes Home? - Dec 02, 2010
- Spit roasts to kofta, tuck into festive feasts in Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: apron, bowls, broccoli, diners, first lady, food donations, fruit salad, george rivera, helping hand, homeless people, hundred years, michelle obama, miriam, mushroom risotto, presidential staff, sky news, soup kitchen, spoon, washington dc, white house