Michelle Obama responds to McQueen dress rowFebruary 1st, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 1 (ANI): US First Lady Michelle Obama, who found herself at the centre of a controversy for wearing a British designer’s gown to a recent state dinner, has responded back - ’she just wants to wear what she loves’.
Michelle, no stranger to state occasion elegance, wore a red Alexander McQueen while hosting Chinese President Hu Jintao at an elaborate state dinner in Washington last month.
“Look, women, wear what you love. That’s all I can say. That’s my motto,” the New York Daily News quoted the First Lady, as telling a TV show last week.
Her choice to wear a British designer’s dress rather than a frock by an American designer had ignited the fury of designers, including Oscar de la Renta and Diane Von Furstenberg. However, Michelle seemed anxious to put the entire event behind her. “It’s nice to have on a nice suit, but it’s a lot nicer to change a generation in terms of their health,” she told Robin Roberts of Good Morning America on Friday.
“It’s a lot…better use of my time to focus on rallying this country around our military families,” she added. (ANI)
- US First Lady wears Alexander McQueen to state dinner - Jan 20, 2011
- Michelle Obama says Ikram Goldman is still her top style advisor - Feb 10, 2011
- Fashion designers praise Kate Middleton's 'classic' wedding gown - Apr 30, 2011
- Proud Chelsea Clinton honours mom Hillary for being 'an inspiration' - Mar 13, 2011
- Lady Gaga named US style icon - Mar 19, 2011
- Furstenberg likes dangerous jewellery - Jul 03, 2011
- Courtney Love arrives after WWD's 100th anniversary party ends - Nov 04, 2010
- Michelle Obama wears 'second hand' dress to Christmas celebration - Dec 18, 2010
- Pippa Middleton: Playing the perfect maid of honour - Apr 29, 2011
- Biggest moment when Michelle wore my dress: Naeem Khan (Interview) - Nov 01, 2011
- Diane Von Furstenberg to create Evian bottle - Jul 24, 2012
- Beckinsale wears Indian designer - Aug 15, 2012
- McQueen's successor to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress? - Mar 07, 2011
- Hottest Styles in Handbags for 2011 - Dec 29, 2010
- Lauren Bush thinks Michelle Obama's sense of style is great - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: alexander mcqueen, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, controversy, diane von furstenberg, elegance, first lady, frock, good morning america, hu jintao, michelle obama, military families, motto, new york daily news, oscar de la renta, president hu jintao, robin roberts, state dinner, state occasion, york daily news