Michelle Obama promotes breastfeedingFebruary 16th, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 16 (ANI): As part of her campaign against childhood obesity, US First Lady Michelle Obama is urging women to breastfeed.
She is calling for the removal of barriers to nursing at work.
The Obama administration has already introduced more flexible work rules and tax breaks on nursing equipment in order to encourage American women to breastfeed.
The move risks fresh controversy for Mrs Obama after former Alaska governor Sarah Palin accused her and others of trying to use government power to dictate private behaviour like eating habits.
“Breastfeeding is a very personal choice for every woman,” the Telegraph quoted Kristina Schake, Mrs Obama’s communications chief, as telling Politics Daily. “We are trying to make it easier for those who choose to do it.”
While discussing her ‘Let’s Move’ anti-childhood obesity campaign, Mrs Obama said she wanted “to focus on the important touch points” in a child’s life. “And what we’re learning now is that early intervention is key. Breastfeeding. Kids who are breastfed longer have a lower tendency to be obese.”
The White House is sensitive to accusations that Mrs Obama is dictating what women should do.
Robin Schepper, director of “Let’s Move” insisted to “Politics Daily” that the First Lady “is not telling women to breastfeed”. (ANI)
- Sarah Palin mocks Michelle Obama's breastfeeding initiative - Feb 18, 2011
- Michelle Obama shows off footie skills for health campaign - Sep 09, 2010
- Sarah Palin once promoted breastfeeding like Michelle Obama - Feb 19, 2011
- Sarah Palin's breastfeeding joke backfires - Feb 19, 2011
- Michelle Obama portrayed as overweight in cartoon attacking her obesity campaign - Feb 16, 2011
- Babies insufficiently breastfed, finds study - May 02, 2011
- Sarah Palin Mocks First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" Campaign Over S'mores - Dec 21, 2010
- Jim Sensenbrenner apologizes for his comment on Michelle Obama - Dec 23, 2011
- Michelle Obama to take childhood obesity drive on Mike Huckabee's TV show - Feb 18, 2010
- Michelle Obama to take 'Let's Move!' anti-obesity drive global - Feb 09, 2011
- Michelle Obama dances to Beyonce as part of anti-obesity drive - May 04, 2011
- First Lady Michelle Obama participated in the 'Let's Move' campaign against childhood obesity - Jul 21, 2010
- Michelle Obama to help break Guinness record for 'jumping jacks' - Oct 07, 2011
- Nobody's more qualified for White House multitasking than "a woman, a mom": Palin - Feb 18, 2011
- A quiet revolution saving rural children's lives (Aug 1-7 is World Breastfeeding Week) - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: accusations, alaska governor sarah palin, american women, breastfeeding, childhood obesity, controversy, early intervention, eating habits, first lady, flexible work, government power, governor sarah palin, london feb, michelle obama, nursing equipment, personal choice, s communications, sarah palin, tax breaks, tendency