Michelle Obama donates inaugural gown to educational facility SmithsonianMarch 10th, 2010 - 4:04 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, March 10 (ANI): Michelle Obama has donated the white gown she wore at the inauguration to the Smithsonian, saying it helped the public “connect with a moment in history in a very real way.”
During her appearance at the Museum of American History, Mrs Obama said she was humbled but also “a little embarrassed by all the fuss being made” over “the dress.”
“Like many of you, I’m not used to people wanting to put things I’ve worn on display…So, all of this is a little odd, so forgive me,” the Politico quoted her, as saying.
However, the First Lady did admit the significance of her dress and others worn by former Presidents’ wives.
She said: “Each gown places us right in the moment and makes us wonder about the intimate details of that evening, like how did she feel in the dress?
“Did her feet hurt in those shoes? How many times did her husband step on that train?”
Looking at the gown, which she hadn’t seen after the inauguration, Mrs Obama said it reminded her of the “freezing cold” day her husband assumed office.
She said: “That day was so hectic for us.
“And I remember the inaugural parade, and how the president and I stood, and we waved until every last band walked by.”
And she revealed she got ready for the inaugural balls later that night in less than an hour.
“Ladies, if you can believe that,” she said.
Mrs Obama recalled: “I remember how just luscious I felt as the president and I were announced onto the stage for the first of many dances. And I’ll cherish that moment for the rest of my life.”
She added that it is “one of the most tangible things I have left to remember that day.
“And that’s why it will always hold a special place in my heart,” she said.
Jason Wu, the gown’s designer said: “The countless hours that you can see that he spent sewing this piece made my night even more special, and now I am proud that millions of visitors will be able to see just how talented this young man is.” (ANI)
- Michelle Obama says Ikram Goldman is still her top style advisor - Feb 10, 2011
- Exhibition Of Ball Gowns Of America’s First Ladies - Jan 14, 2011
- Biggest moment when Michelle wore my dress: Naeem Khan (Interview) - Nov 01, 2011
- Michelle Obama sends stocks, sweet potatoes soaring - in style (Profile) - Nov 04, 2010
- Michelle Obama is a practical dresser - Feb 12, 2011
- Michelle Obama's 'nude' dress sparks race row - May 20, 2010
- Jason Wu – Whom Did Michelle Obama Wear At The Inauguration Ball? - Dec 21, 2010
- Keep dreaming big, Michelle tells Indian students (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Michelle is the 'moral center' that guides me: Barack Obama - Sep 24, 2010
- Jessica Chastain's Oscar dress turns heads - Feb 27, 2012
- Michelle Obama To Donate Inaugural Gown To Smithsonian Museum - Mar 07, 2010
- Fashion forward for Bollywood with 'Aisha' (With Images) - Jul 15, 2010
- Many big heroes refused to work with me: Mumtaz (Interview Part 2) - Jul 31, 2012
- Michelle Obama responds to McQueen dress row - Feb 01, 2011
- Michelle Obama's favorability rating dips - Nov 10, 2009
Tags: american history, cold day, countless hours, dances, educational facility, first lady, former presidents, fuss, inaugural balls, inaugural gown, inaugural parade, inauguration, intimate details, jason wu, michelle obama, place in my heart, rest of my life, smithsonian, those shoes, white gown