Michelle Obama admits she’s a “lover” of french friesSeptember 14th, 2010 - 4:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sep 14 (ANI): America’s First Lady Michelle Obama has confessed her love for French fries and has admitted that her daughters enjoy mac and cheese.
However, at the National Restaurant Association’s fall board meeting, she asked restaurateurs to rethink the way they offer food in their eateries and implored them to provide more nutritious choices to both adults and kids.
Since Americans eat a third of their meals in restaurants, Mrs. Obama asked the restaurateurs to add more healthful choices to their menus and provide customers with more information about what they’re eating.
“What I do know is that in the restaurant industry, creativity is your lifeblood,” the Politico quoted her as at the Hyatt Regency before a packed crowd that included assistant White House chef Sam Kass.
“It’s what sets you apart from the competition, and it keeps customers coming back for more. And today I am asking you to use that creativity to rethink the food you offer, especially dishes aimed at young people, and to help us make the healthier choice the easier choice.”
Obama told the professional foodies that she would like to see them use that creativity with children’s menus as well.
“I’m not asking any of you to make drastic changes to every single one of your recipes or to totally change the way you do business,” Obama said.
“But what I am asking is that you consider reformulating your menu in pragmatic and incremental ways to create healthier versions of the foods that we all love.”
Obama suggested substituting wheat pasta for white pasta or cutting the amounts of butter and cream in recipes.
“Or you could make healthy sides like apple slices or carrots the default choice in a menu and make fries something customers have to request - which would hurt me deeply,” the first lady said to laughter.
“I’m a fry lover,” she added. (ANI)
- Invoking Batman name promotes healthy eating - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian cuisines coexist, promote tolerance: Australian restaurateur - Nov 16, 2011
- McDonald playing around with new chicken recipes - May 23, 2011
- Dining with friends can make you fat - Sep 03, 2012
- Now, a mobile video game to train you to choose healthier diet - Oct 13, 2010
- Assault with a deadly French fry (The Funny Side) - Jul 06, 2012
- Teens growing addicted to junk food - Jul 29, 2011
- Wine and dine al fresco in capital weather - Jan 28, 2012
- Tired Of Usual Parties? Host A Fondue Party - Jan 11, 2011
- Dieters misled by food names end up eating more unhealthy foods - Apr 20, 2011
- Heart Attack Grill Restaurant gives free food to obese people - Nov 12, 2010
- Health Care Bill: Fast Foods Required To Post Calories - Mar 25, 2010
- Tandoori versus sorpotel: Goan cuisine on collision path (Eating Out With IANS) - Apr 15, 2011
- Palak paneer to tandoori - Indian food a hit in Helsinki (Feature) (With Images) - Jun 28, 2012
- Not all pasta is pasta: Italian chef - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: apple slices, board meeting, carrots, chef sam, default choice, drastic changes, eateries, first lady, foodies, french fries, healthful choices, healthier choice, hyatt regency, kass, lifeblood, mac and cheese, michelle obama, nutritious choices, single one, wheat pasta