Michelangelo’s self-portrait found hidden in his final paintingJuly 2nd, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 2 (ANI): A self-portrait by renowned Italian Renaissance mastermind Michelangelo has been found hidden in his final painting, the Crucifixion of Saint Peter, believe experts.
According to Maurizio De Luca, the Vatican’s head of paintings restoration, the artist’s fresco painted at the Pauline Chapel in the Vatican City, holds the self-portrait of the genius in the form of a figure in the top left-hand corner of the work.
World’s leading art experts are convinced that the facial features in the fresco bare a striking resemblance to those in portraits of Michelangelo by other artists.
“What has emerged is a later Michelangelo work seen in a new light, a work which marked the end of his painting, as he dedicated himself to sculpture and architecture,” the Independent quoted De Luca as having told La Repubblica newspaper.
“I do believe this is Michelangelo. The blue turban is a very strong indication because it’s very typical of the hats worn by sculptors to keep the powder off themselves,” De Luca added.
The only other generally believed self-portrait of Michelangelo can be seen in his most famous work, the Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel, which he created between 1534 and 1541. (ANI)
- Sweat, breath damaging Sistine Chapel's frescoes - Sep 04, 2010
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfaces - Jan 28, 2011
- Did Michelangelo paint brain in God's throat in Sistine Chapel fresco? - Jul 29, 2010
- Did Michelangelo hide anatomy lesson in Sistine Chapel? - Jul 20, 2010
- Did Michelangelo paint human brain stem in God? - Jul 21, 2010
- Michelangelo's Last Judgment 'based on male prostitutes' - Nov 13, 2010
- Michelangelo hid anatomical sketches in Sistine Chapel to attack Church - Jun 17, 2010
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Sistine Chapel in danger from sweat, dust, hair of 4m visitors a year - Sep 04, 2010
- Scribbled thoughts reveal Michelangelo was a tortured poet - Dec 06, 2010
- Michelangelo wasn''t handsome at all - Jul 22, 2008
- Was Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa a man? - Feb 03, 2011
- Adele, Cowell paint portraits for Queen - Apr 09, 2012
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait sells for $17 million - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: art experts, blue turban, chapel in the vatican, crucifixion, de luca, facial features, italian renaissance, la repubblica, last judgment, left hand corner, mastermind, maurizio, michelangelo, pauline chapel, saint peter, sculptors, self portrait, sistine chapel, striking resemblance, vatican city