Michael Enright Held Without Bail For Slashing Muslim Cab DriverAugust 26th, 2010 - 7:58 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
New York, Aug 26, (THAINDIAN NEWS) After a Muslim cab driver was brutally attacked by 21-year-old film student Michael Enright for his religion on Tuesday, the Manhattan district attorney on Wednesday held the attacker without bail. At the end of a brief arraignment at the Manhattan Criminal Court on Wednesday, Michael Enright was charged with the second-degree attempted murder as a hate crime, a first-degree assault as a hate crime and with criminal possession of weapon by the Manhattan district attorney. Michael Enright has reportedly not entered a plea at the court.
As per a criminal complaint, Michael Enright carried out the attack on 44-year-old Ahmed H. Sharif a Muslim Taxi driver on Tuesday night after boarding the taxi from the corner of Second Avenue and East 24th Street. Michael Enright reportedly asked the driver about his religion and after an initial formal greeting in Arabic, the passenger went on to hurl abuses at Ahmed H. Sharif. Michael Enright however did not stop at the verbal abuse only and saying that “Consider this a checkpoint”, withdrew a Leatherman knife to slash the throat of Mr. Ahmed H. Sharif. Michael Enright allegedly reached out to Ahmed H. Sharif through the opening in the plastic divider and slashed the driver’s throat. Ahmed H. Sharif was also stabbed on face.
Michael Enright had previously volunteered work in Afghanistan for Intersection international, a group that promotes interfaith dialogue between communities. The group had also in the recent past supported the controversial building of mosque and Muslim Community center just two blocks from ground zero. The representative of the Intersection International, Rev. Robert Chase voiced that it is a “tragic” situation. The representative held that the group has been working to “build bridges between folks from different religions” and added that the present turn of events is shocking and sad.
- Man who slashed Muslim charged with hate crimes - Aug 26, 2010
- New York Muslim cabby's attacker claimed to be a 'patriot' on arrest - Sep 23, 2010
- NY Muslim cabby's attacker indicted on hate crime charge - Aug 31, 2010
- US man charged with hate crime for stabbing Muslim cabbie - Sep 01, 2010
- American man accused of slashing New York cabbie's throat for being Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- US Justice Department probing NY Muslim cabby's throat slashing as possible hate crime - Sep 08, 2010
- New York City Cabbie Stabbed After Admitting That He Was A Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- Gashed Mohammedan Cabbie To Dialogue With The Mayor Of New York City - Aug 26, 2010
- Anti-9/11 mosque campaigners condemn project in wake attempted murder of Muslim cabby - Aug 27, 2010
- Muslim-American leaders fear "Islamophobia" may lead to "hate crimes" - Aug 27, 2010
- New York cabbie stabbed after he reveled that he is a Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- Michael Enright, Accused Of Slitting A Muslim Cab Driver, Is Taken To A Psychiatric Quarter At An Infirmary In New York - Aug 27, 2010
- IMF chief denied bail in sex assault case (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- US community groups seek hate crime hearings - Aug 22, 2012
- Two plead guilty to attack on Sikh taxi driver in US - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,