Mice started fire that killed 100 catsDecember 21st, 2008 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 21 (ANI): Mice may be responsible for a fire that killed nearly 100 cats at an animal shelter near Toronto, officials say.
The fire at the humane society shelter in Oshawa also killed three dogs and some rats that were up for adoption.
An initial report from the fire marshal says mice or rats chewing through electrical wires in the ceiling are likely to have sparked the blaze.
After the tragedy many Canadians donated money as well as offering food and temporary homes for the survivors.
“It’’s been crazy here. People are very upset and some people have just been crying on the phone, The Telegraph quoted Ruby Richards, the shelter’’s manager, as saying.
“It’’s unfortunate and ironic that mice caused the fire that killed the cats. Unfortunately, the mice probably perished in the fire as well, a Toronto Humane Society spokesman told the BBC. (ANI)
Tags: adoption, animal shelter, bbc, blaze, canadians, cats london, dogs, electrical wires, fire marshal, humane society shelter, initial report, mice, money, rats, ruby, spokesman, survivors, telegraph, toronto humane society, tragedy