Miami student discovers rare Abraham Lincoln fingerprintFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 23 (ANI): A student at Miami University has found a fingerprint, belonging to Abraham Lincoln, while working on a class project.
Lydia Smith is a first year psychology major from Granville, Ohio.
She was transcribing a letter written by Lincoln on October 5, 1863 for a class project when she noticed a smudge, which she suspected, could be the 16th presidents thumbprint.
The 1863 letter was among hundreds of miscellaneous letters stored in Miamis Walter Havighurst Special Collections section of King Library and uncovered this fall.
The Papers of Abraham Lincoln, a project of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, reviewed and confirmed the print, making it the second rare fingerprint of the 16th president housed at Miamis libraries.
The collection at Miami includes the first authenticated fingerprint of Lincoln with a signature known to historians since it was first verified in 1957.
Lydia Smith’’s discovery of the second fingerprint has historians taking notice.
Miamis collection includes the first certified document that provides a critical comparison for us,” Science Daily quoted John A. Lupton, associate director of the Papers of Abraham Lincoln project, as saying.
I have seen a number of fingerprints that I assumed to be Lincolns, but never more than one in one repository. The fact that Miami has two makes it fascinating, he added. (ANI)
- Lincoln urged Britain to help set up colony for freed slaves - Mar 06, 2011
- America's 147-year-old Civil War message decoded - Dec 27, 2010
- Donner Party Member James Reed Carried Abraham Lincoln's Document - Jul 21, 2010
- Donner Party Documents Found With Lincoln's Handwriting - Jul 21, 2010
- "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" trailer released - Feb 14, 2012
- Discovery: Donner Party's member James Reed had a Lincoln document - Jul 21, 2010
- Abraham Lincoln wanted to deport slaves to British colonies, reveals book - Feb 12, 2011
- Fingerprint technology beats world's toughest tests - Oct 27, 2009
- 'Lincoln tried to deport slaves to British colonies' - Feb 12, 2011
- Constituent Of The Donner Party Held A Document Of Abraham Lincoln - Jul 21, 2010
- 300 years of British newspapers put online - Nov 29, 2011
- Newly resurfaced letter brings the question of Abraham Linclon's faith to the fore - Apr 17, 2011
- Lincoln had 'secret talks' with Britain to set up colony for freed slaves - Mar 06, 2011
- Scientist decodes centuries old cryptogram - Oct 26, 2011
- Was Abe Lincoln's 'pardon to death row inmate before assassination' claim doctored? - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: 16th president, abraham lincoln, abraham lincoln presidential library, abraham lincoln presidential library and museum, collections section, critical comparison, fingerprint, granville ohio, historic preservation agency, illinois historic preservation agency, king library, lincoln presidential library, lincoln presidential library and museum, lincoln project, lydia smith, miami student, miami university, smudge, special collections, walter havighurst