Mia Farrow blasts UNSC for failing in its duties in DarfurJune 18th, 2008 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 18 (ANI): Actress and activist Mia Farrow has reprimanded the 15 members of the UN Security Council of failing in its duties of protecting civilians caught in ethnic conflicts in Sudans Darfur region.
Farrow, the slender star of Rosemary’s Baby (1968) and The Great Gatsby (1974), stressed on the overwhelming need to get well-equipped peacekeepers on the ground and protection for humanitarian relief convoys unable to reach millions of refugees who have tumbled over Sudan’s borders.
You have already failed the 300,000 or more who have died needlessly in Darfur, The Washington Times quoted Farrow, as saying.
You are failing millions of civilians who are struggling to survive in wretched camps across Darfur, eastern Chad and now the Central African Republic. And you are failing this body - the ideals and principles it represents, she added.
Farrows address on Tuesday was delivered in private, but her people allowed paper copies of her remarks to be circulated among reporters.
The actress has devoted much of the last two years to publicizing the plight of people in Darfur and trying to prod governments and the UN into action.
She is affiliated with Dream for Darfur, a group that has used pre-Olympic pressure on China, a council member with influence in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum to more actively support peace and disarmament efforts.
Richard Williamson, Washingtons special envoy for Darfur, also attended the meeting. (ANI)
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- Abducted Bulgarian pilots released in Sudan - Jun 07, 2011
- Eight civilians killed in Sudan's weekend bombings of South Sudan - Apr 18, 2012
- UN Security Council calls for 'urgent action' for peaceful, credible referenda in Sudan - Nov 17, 2010
- UN peacekeeping official says there is hope for Darfur - Feb 12, 2010
- UN chief to visit Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- AU presses Sudan, South Sudan to seal deal by Aug 2 - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: blasts, council member, darfur, disarmament efforts, eastern chad, ethnic conflicts, great gatsby, humanitarian relief, khartoum, members of the un security council, mia farrow, overwhelming need, paper copies, peacekeepers, plight, relief convoys, richard williamson, sudanese capital, un security council, washington times