Mexico nabs most wanted drug cartel memberMay 1st, 2009 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 30 (EFE) Mexican authorities have arrested a key member of the country’s most ruthless drug cartel during a raid in the northeastern border city of Matamoros, the public safety secretariat said Thursday.
Federal police officials managed to locate the whereabouts of Gregorio Sauceda Gamboa, one of the top members of the notorious Gulf cartel, at a home in that city’s Tlaxcala district.
Two other suspects were captured along with the 44-year-old ex-police officer, a suspect on a list of Mexico’s 24 most-wanted drug traffickers, including a woman who is believed to be Sauceda’s wife, officials said.
Police confiscated five assault rifles, a rocket launcher, 30 ammunition clips, more than 4,000 rounds of ammunition of different calibers and an all-terrain vehicle from their possession.
According to Mexican intelligence reports, Sauceda played a key role in the founding of the Gulf cartel in 1996.
Mexico has been plagued in recent years by drug-related violence, with powerful cartels battling each other and the security forces, as rival gangs vie for control of lucrative smuggling and distribution routes.
Armed groups linked to the cartels murdered around 1,500 people in 2006, 2,700 in 2007 and 5,630 in 2008, according to a tally by the Mexico City daily El Universal.
More than 1,800 people have died so far this year.
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- Two dead after clashes between soldiers and gunmen in central Mexico - Feb 25, 2011
- 20 die in Mexico prison fight - Oct 16, 2011
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- Report: 71 inmates escape in mass jail break in Mexico's drug-plagued north - Sep 11, 2010
- Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Six bodies found in Mexico - Feb 19, 2011
- Prison fight in northern Mexico leaves 20 inmates killed - Oct 17, 2011
- Drug gang gunfight leaves 10 dead, 18 injured in central-western Mexico - Dec 12, 2010
- Mexican drug boss held - Jun 22, 2011
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Two tonnes of marijuana found in Mexican cemetery - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: assault rifles, border city, calibers, cartels, distribution routes, drug cartel, el universal, federal police, gamboa, gregorio sauceda, gulf cartel, intelligence reports, matamoros, mexican authorities, mexico city, most wanted drug traffickers, northeastern border, police officials, rival gangs, rocket launcher