Mexico nabs man for involvement in 35 killingsFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Feb 2 (IANS/EFE) A Mexican drug cartel member, who is accused of participating in the murders of 35 people in the Pacific resort city of Acapulco, has been arrested, authorities said Tuesday.The arrest of 37-year-old Miguel Gomez Vazquez was carried out Monday in Acapulco’s Simon Bolivar neighbourhood, the federal public safety secretariat said in a communique.
Authorities link Gomez Vazquez to last September’s abduction and murder of 20 men visiting Acapulco from the neighbouring state of Michoacan, as well as to the decapitations of 15 people whose heads turned up Jan 8 in front of the city’s Plaza Sendero mall.
In Gomez Vazquez’s possession at the time of his arrest were an AK-47 assault rifle, quantities of marijuana, powder cocaine and crack and an automobile without license plates.
Authorities say the accused killer worked for the self-styled Independent Cartel of Acapulco, made up of former members of the criminal group led by Edgar Valdez Villarreal, alias “La Barbie”, until his arrest last August.
- Mexican Police Captures Drug Kingpin Edgar "La Barbie" Valdez Villarreal - Aug 31, 2010
- Five women decapitated in Mexican city - Apr 25, 2011
- Four bullet-riddled bodies found in Mexico - Aug 09, 2010
- 24 killed in Mexico violence - Jan 09, 2011
- Teenaged hitman who beheaded victims held in Mexico - Dec 04, 2010
- Suspect arrested in shooting of Paraguayan soccer star - Jan 20, 2011
- Mexican federal police arrest drug kingpin Edgar Valdez Villareal - Aug 31, 2010
- Mexican authorites capture drug lord Sergio Villarreal Barragan "el Grande" - Sep 13, 2010
- 23 bodies dumped in Mexican state - Jun 21, 2011
- Mexico Navy arrests suspected drug kingpin - Sep 13, 2010
- Man who got drunk, fell asleep during robbery held - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican mayor vows to continue her work despite attacks - Jan 26, 2011
- 18 bodies found at mass grave in Mexico - Nov 07, 2010
- Police chief murdered in Mexican town - Mar 11, 2011
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: 20 men, abduction, ak 47 assault rifle, city feb, criminal group, decapitations, edgar valdez villarreal, feb 2, former members, killings, license plates, mexican drug cartel, mexico city, mexico nabs, michoacan, miguel gomez, neighbouring state, plaza sendero, powder cocaine, simon bolivar