Mexico enacts new asylum lawJanuary 27th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 27 (IANS/EFE) President Felipe Calderon signed into law Wednesday a measure aimed at bringing Mexico’s handling of refugee and political asylum claims into line with international agreements.The law was drafted “taking into account the model legislation of the (office of the) United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees”, Calderon said during the signing ceremony in Mexico City.
Mexico also sought input from domestic and international organisations.
From now on, Mexico will consider applications for refugee status from any person who cites a fear of being “persecuted for his race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinions”, the president said.
Gender persecution will also be considered legitimate grounds for an asylum claim, he said
Mexico likewise pledges not to send any asylum seeker or refugee to a country where her life, liberty or safety would be at risk, Calderon said.
Another provisions of the law protects legitimate refugees and asylum seekers from being prosecuted for illegally entering the country, and officially recognised refugees will have a right to work as well as access to health care and education.
Calderon pointed out that Mexico gave asylum to people fleeing the Spanish Civil War, World War II, Latin American military regimes, civil conflicts in Central America and, most recently, survivors of the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti.
- Mexico enacts witness-protection law - Jun 09, 2012
- Mexico takes action to keep criminals out of elections - Mar 02, 2012
- Mexican rock band Molotov takes up social issues - May 11, 2012
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- 4.5 tonnes of marijuana seized in Mexico - Mar 11, 2011
- 11 members of drug gang killed in Mexico - Aug 13, 2010
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Cruise giant to invest over $150 mn in Mexico - Mar 16, 2012
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Mexican drug boss held - Jun 22, 2011
- Mexico to launch three new satellites - Oct 06, 2010
- Mexican soldiers held for torture, killing of civilians - Jul 07, 2011
- Drought reduces Mexico's agricultural production - Feb 14, 2012
- Mexico seeks to protect journalists, rights activists - May 02, 2012
- Mexico steps up effort to protect biodiversity - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: access to health care, asylum claim, asylum law, asylum seeker, civil conflicts, gender persecution, international organisations, legitimate grounds, legitimate refugees, military regimes, model legislation, political asylum claims, refugee status, refugees and asylum seekers, signing ceremony, spanish civil war, united nations high commissioner, united nations high commissioner for refugees, war world war, world war ii