Mexico cocaine ‘hidden in sharks’June 17th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 17 (IANS) The Mexican Navy says it has seized more than a tonne of cocaine hidden inside the carcasses of frozen sharks, BBC reported Wednesday.
Armed officers found slabs of cocaine inside more than 20 sharks aboard a freight ship in the Gulf coast port of Progreso in Yucatan state.
Correspondents say cartels are coming up with increasingly creative ways of smuggling drugs into the US.
Shipments of cocaine have also been discovered hidden inside sealed beer cans, religious statues and furniture.
“We are talking about more than a tonne of cocaine that was inside the ship,” said Mexican Navy Commander Eduardo Villa.
He said X-ray machines and sniffer dogs had helped to uncover the haul.
“Those in charge of the shipment said it was a conserving agent but after checks we confirmed it was cocaine,” he said.
In another development Tuesday, the Mexican Navy unveiled what it described as one of the largest methamphetamine labs ever found in the country.
When officers stumbled across the enormous holding tank in a remote part of the northern state of Sinaloa last week they thought it might be used to water a marijuana plantation.
Instead, the tank fed water into two enormous sheds where investigators found 12,905 gallons (49,640 litres) of ephedrine, a chemical used to make methamphetamine.
Officials said it was enough to produce 40.2 tonnes of the drug, or about 309 million individual doses.
So far this year more than 2,700 people have died in drug-related violence in Mexico. Last year about 6,300 were killed.
Mexican President Felipe Calderon has committed some 45,000 troops and federal police to try to crush the country’s powerful cartels.
- Police arrest top drug trafficker at Mexico City airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Mexican navy seizes 2.4 tonnnes of cocaine - May 04, 2010
- Cocaine stash found in steamroller - Feb 20, 2011
- Mexican drug cartel infiltrates Australia - Sep 15, 2010
- 38 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Apr 09, 2011
- Mexican drug smugglers stuffed cocaine inside frozen sharks - Jun 17, 2009
- It's official: Guatemala now a drug-producing country - Aug 16, 2012
- Mexican marines capture son of Sinaloa drug cartel leader - Jun 22, 2012
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- 80 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - May 21, 2010
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Four tonnes of drugs destroyed in China - Jun 03, 2012
- At least 20 bodies found in vehicles in western Mexico - Nov 25, 2011
- U.S. arrests more than 2,200 individuals linked to Mexican cartels - Jun 10, 2010
- Mexican troops dismantle meth labs - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: armed officers, beer cans, cartels, federal police, freight ship, holding tank, marijuana plantation, methamphetamine, methamphetamine labs, mexican navy, mexican president felipe calderon, navy commander, president felipe calderon, ray machines, religious statues, smuggling drugs, sniffer dogs, violence in mexico, x ray, yucatan state