Mexico breaks record for most telescopes pointed at moonDecember 5th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Puebla (Mexico), Dec 5 (IANS/EFE) Mexican hobbyists and astronomers broke their own Guinness record by using a total of 2,753 telescopes all around the country to simultaneously observe the moon, organizers of the effort reported Sunday.
In the “Reto Mexico 2011″ (Mexico Challenge 2011) event, the astronomy enthusiasts at midnight Saturday managed to break the record they had set in October 2009, when they had used 1,042 telescopes to observe the moon, Raul Mujica, a member of the event’s organizing committee, told EFE.
Using homemade and automatically controlled telescopes, thousands of people observed the waxing moon in its fourth quarter, the visible planets and the constellations in more than 100 cities and archaeological sites around the country.
At the archaeological zone in the town of Cholula, in the state of Puebla, organizers met to count the number of telescopes that had been set up in all of Mexico’s states to make known the official results of the project.
In an open area in the central city of Puebla, simple telescopes with wooden bases and other professional ones costing up to $15,000 had been set up, said Jose Miguel Jauregui, a post-graduate student at the National Institute of Astrophysics, Optics and Electronics, or INAOE.
Jauregui said that a telescope can be built with optical materials made in Mexico at a cost of about $100.
All through the night until early Sunday morning, thousands of people came to the different sites to observe the moon through the hundreds of telescopes operated by participants.
- Google offers virtual visits to Mexican archaeological sites - Aug 18, 2012
- Demand for private security services in Mexico up 40 percent - Dec 18, 2011
- 11 killed in Mexico accident - Jan 11, 2011
- Volkswagen plans to invest $1 bn in Mexico - Jul 08, 2010
- Volkswagen to build new engine plant in Mexico - Sep 23, 2010
- Mexico takes action to keep criminals out of elections - Mar 02, 2012
- Mexico a huge producer of child porn: Official - Jan 26, 2012
- Mexican town takes on world's richest man - Jul 23, 2012
- Maya ruins buried under Mexican highway preserved - Jun 07, 2012
- Mexican football coach punches photographer - Feb 20, 2012
- Mexican women's labour value equals GDP's 23 percent - Oct 16, 2011
- Audi to build $1.3 bn plant in Mexico - Sep 07, 2012
- Archaeologists find 20 ancient human skeletons with their offerings in Mexico - Aug 03, 2009
- Mexican rock group to perform in US - Jun 27, 2011
- Bicycle-powered Christmas tree lighted in Mexico - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: archaeological sites, archaeological zone, astronomy enthusiasts, astrophysics, cholula, constellations, fourth quarter, graduate student, guinness record, hobbyists, optical materials, organizers, organizing committee, post graduate, puebla mexico, raul, reto, telescopes, visible planets, waxing moon