Mexican women’s rights activist shot atDecember 4th, 2011 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico), Dec 4 (IANS/EFE) A group of gunmen shot at a women’s rights activist in this northern Mexican border city, civil society groups said.
Norma Andrade, one of the leaders of the May Our Daughters Return Home non-governmental organization was shot several times Friday by a group of armed men while leaving work in Ciudad Juarez, the All Rights for All national network of human rights organizations said in a statement.
The network added that Andrade, who is in a serious but stable condition at a hospital, “is the mother of Lilia Alejandra Garcia Andrade, who was murdered in February 2001″.
She also is the mother of the director of the May Our Daughters Return Home group, Malu Garcia, who was forced to flee to Mexico City due to threats from suspected drug traffickers.
The Attorney General’s Office in Chihuahua state, where Juarez is located, confirmed in a preliminary report that the social activist was shot at least five times while she was getting into her car, attributing the attack to attempted auto theft.
But sources close to the activist told EFE that Andrade was the victim of an attempted homicide carried out by members of a Juarez-based drug cartel.
- HRW urges Mexican authorities to protect activists in Juarez - Feb 24, 2011
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- Gunmen attack funeral procession in Mexican city - Feb 17, 2011
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Woman police chief slain in Mexico - Nov 30, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- Nine gunned down at Mexican nightclub - Feb 05, 2012
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 5 killed in attack on Mexican bar - Apr 03, 2011
- Mexican state promoting reading as antidote to violence - Jan 27, 2012
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- 4 killed during football game in Mexican city - Dec 23, 2010
- Mexican woman killed while seeking justice for slain daughter - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: alejandra garcia, armed men, attempted homicide, auto theft, border city, ciudad juarez mexico, civil society groups, drug cartel, drug traffickers, garcia andrade, home group, human rights organizations, lilia, malu, mexican border, mexican women, non governmental organization, preliminary report, social activist, stable condition