Mexican teenager used social websites to kidnap peopleJanuary 17th, 2011 - 10:48 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 17 (IANS/EFE) A teenaged youth who allegedly kidnapped students he met via social networking websites has been arrested in Mexico, officials said.Pedro Lopez Biffano, 19, who was holding a student hostage, was arrested during the weekend in Puebla state in central Mexico, the Puebla state attorney general’s office said.
The suspect was demanding 100,000 pesos ($8,100) in cash and two vehicles in exchange for the student’s release, the office said.
Biffano was arrested near a hospital as he prepared to collect the cash.
Police found the hostage handcuffed to a bed at Biffano’s house.
Biffano later confessed he planned and carried out 14 kidnappings.
He started a friendship with them and later invited them to meet in the city’s main plaza, the attorney general’s office said.
He tricked and took them to a motel in downtown Puebla or his house, where he handcuffed his victims once they were alone, and obtained information about their relatives, family assets, financial condition and telephone numbers, it said.
Biffano made his ransom demand the same day, asking for between 10,000 pesos and 100,000 pesos, as well as vehicles.
The attorney general’s office said the accused threatened his victims before releasing them, telling them that if they notified police he would search for them and kill them and their families.
Biffano also confessed before investigators that he and three accomplices robbed at least 15 service stations in Puebla.
- Mexico puts up $1.2 bn to solve kidnappings - May 12, 2012
- Footballer-turned-gangster arrested in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- Mexican man held for 52 murders - Jan 07, 2012
- Two kidnappers lynched in Mexico - Feb 12, 2012
- Mexican football coach punches photographer - Feb 20, 2012
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- Thieves slide out ATM on watermelon rinds! - Jan 11, 2012
- Venezuela nabs three for Mexican envoy's abduction - Feb 07, 2012
- Mexico busts gang that kidnapped doctors - Mar 03, 2010
- Father admits to killing children - Jun 10, 2010
- Suspect in murder of Mexican ex-general arrested - Mar 03, 2012
- Multiple murders: Four Mexican teenagers held - Jan 20, 2012
- Mexican oil giant to spend $24 mn to repair pipeline - Dec 21, 2011
- Mexican gang leader gets 101 years for kidnapping - Apr 23, 2010
- 40 bodies found in Mexico mass grave - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: accomplices, central mexico, family assets, friendship, hostage, investigators, kidnappings, mexico city, mexico officials, pedro lopez, ransom demand, relatives, social networking websites, state attorney general, teenager, telephone numbers