Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartelAugust 13th, 2012 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 13 (IANS/EFE) A Mexican Supreme Court official was arrested and arraigned in federal court for allegedly having links to a drug cartel, said authorities.
Juan Carlos de la Barrera Vite was arrested July 29 in the Pacific port city of Acapulco and arraigned Aug 7 by a federal judge.
The suspect, who is being held at a prison in Matamoros, a border city in the northeastern state of Tamaulipas, was a clerk for the high court and worked for Justice Sergio Valls.
The federal Attorney General’s Office has charged the court official with working for the Sinaloa drug cartel, which is led by Joaquin “El Chapo” (Shorty) Guzman.
Justice Valls “did not have nor does he have any links to the acts alleged against the said person” and “at no time did sensitive information from the judicial body or its work get compromised”, the Supreme Court said.
De la Barrera Vite worked as a clerk in the past, but “he only did administrative work in the personnel area in recent years”, the Supreme Court said.
The suspect allegedly handed over confidential information to the Sinaloa cartel, Mexico’s most powerful drug trafficking organization, the Mexican press reported Saturday.
De la Barrera Vite took his orders from Felipe Cabrera Sarabia, who was arrested Dec. 23, 2011, in Culiacan, the capital of the northwestern state of Sinaloa, the El Universal newspaper said.
Cabrera Sarabia was allegedly in charge of the Sinaloa cartel’s operations in Durango state and the southern part of Chihuahua state, the newspaper said.
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexican singer kidnapped, shot for refusing to sing - Apr 09, 2012
- Five slain at Mexican hospital - Mar 03, 2012
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Singer gunned down in Mexico - Nov 15, 2011
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- Police chief gunned down in Mexico - Jul 02, 2012
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Mexican journalist kidnapped - Aug 25, 2011
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- Kidnapped Mexican journalist found dead - Aug 26, 2011
- Mexican marines capture son of Sinaloa drug cartel leader - Jun 22, 2012
- Mexican drug cartel got access to secret US reports - May 11, 2010
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: administrative work, border city, confidential information, culiacan, drug trafficking, el chapo, el universal, federal attorney general, federal judge, juan carlos, judicial body, matamoros, mexico city, northeastern state, northwestern state, sarabia, shorty, sinaloa cartel mexico, sinaloa drug cartel, valls