Mexican prison’s security chief gunned downJuly 30th, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
Culiacan (Mexico), July 30 (IANS/EFE) The security chief of the prison in Culiacan, the capital of the northwestern Mexican state of Sinaloa, has been gunned down, police said.
Alejandro Osuna Rios was murdered Friday in front of his house, police said.
Osuna Rios, 36, had been in charge of security at the prison for four months.
He was attacked by several gunmen riding in two SUVs as he stood in front of his house with his wife and son in the Villas del Manantial district.
Sinaloa state Attorney General’s Office investigators found 44 bullet casings and an ammunition clip for an AK-47 at the crime scene, as well as the officer’s service weapon.
Osuna Rios, who had just started his vacation, did not have time to draw his 9 mm pistol and return fire, police said.
Sinaloa is currently the scene of a bloody turf war among several cartels.
The state is home to the drug cartel led by Joaquin “El Chapo” (Shorty) Guzman, who was arrested in Guatemala in 1993 and pulled off a Hollywood-style jailbreak when he escaped from the Puente Grande maximum-security prison in the western state of Jalisco Jan 19, 2001.
The Sinaloa organization, sometimes referred to by officials as the Pacific cartel, is the oldest and most powerful drug cartel in Mexico.
The Sinaloa cartel, according to intelligence agencies, is a transnational business empire that operates in the US, Europe, the Americas and Asia.
About 50,000 people have died in Mexico’s drug war since December 2006, when President Felipe Calderon declared war on the country’s powerful cartels, sending soldiers into the streets to fight criminals.
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Mexican Supreme Court official held for links to drug cartel - Aug 13, 2012
- Gunmen kill seven in Mexican town - Mar 24, 2011
- Five slain at Mexican hospital - Mar 03, 2012
- 5 Bodies found hanging from bridges in Mexican city - Mar 01, 2011
- Nine charred bodies found in Mexico - Nov 24, 2011
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican journalist kidnapped - Aug 25, 2011
- Police chief gunned down in Mexico - Jul 02, 2012
- Seven killed in Mexico violence - Jan 23, 2011
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- Kidnapped Mexican journalist found dead - Aug 26, 2011
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: business empire, cartels, culiacan mexico, drug cartel, el chapo, fire police, hollywood style, intelligence agencies, maximum security prison, mexican prison, president felipe calderon, puente grande, return fire, security chief, service weapon, sinaloa cartel, sinaloa state, state attorney general, transnational business, turf war