Mexican-made game world’s most downloaded iPad appAugust 26th, 2011 - 11:12 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Aug 26 (IANS/EFE) Taco Master, the creation of Mexican company Kaxan Games, is the world’s most downloaded iPad application and among the most purchased software for use on other Apple devices at the iTunes store.
Players take on the role of street vendors and try to make the highest-quality taco they can in the least amount of time, the president of Kaxan Media Group, Ricardo Gomez, told EFE.
“It’s very engaging and addictive and has received millions of downloads in more than 50 countries,” Gomez said, adding that the game became the most downloaded application for the iPad just a week after it was released Aug 4.
It also ranks among the top 10 most-downloaded applications for other Apple devices such as the iPhone and iPod.
Despite its low cost of 12 pesos (97 cents), a pirated version of the application is already available and can be downloaded for free from some Web portals. “It’s what always happens with the good games,” Gomez said.
“The kid who uploaded it even tweeted it on his account like some achievement. It’s infuriating because they don’t charge anything; they do it for the pure pleasure of ‘hacking’,” the company’s president said, adding that the crime has already been reported to the authorities and is being investigated.
“This action won’t affect our sales that much because those who are used to downloading pirated software are going to keep doing it and those who aren’t will keep (downloading games) legally,” he said.
Gomez said his company currently is making 15 video games for mobile devices and one for the home video game console Wii.
Kaxan Media Group invested $4 million last year and has 120 game designers, according to Gomez, who said the interactive media company is Latin America’s largest creator of intellectual property in the video game area.
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Samsung unveils Galaxy to challenge Apple's iPad - Sep 03, 2010
- Started with borrowed money, Apple becomes world's No. 1 company - Aug 11, 2011
- Apple releases preview of new Mac operating system - Feb 17, 2012
- iPad Available in US on April 3 - Mar 05, 2010
- Much awaited iPad available in the U.S. on April 3 - Mar 05, 2010
- Apple Gets Trademark For 'There's An App For That' Catchphrase - Oct 12, 2010
- Apple's iCloud fetches deals with major record labels - Jun 03, 2011
- Apple's app store crosses 15 billion downloads - Jul 08, 2011
- Apple Unveils iTunes 10.1 With New Features - Nov 16, 2010
- Apple's new iPad faces ban in China - Mar 08, 2012
- Apple Alerts Intent to Share Location Data - Jun 23, 2010
- Milestones in a tech legend's journey - Oct 06, 2011
- Richard Branson unveils digital mag for iPad - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: downloaded application, downloaded applications, downloading games, efe, game designers, game world, good games, home video game, interactive media company, ipad, iphone, latin america, media group, mexico city, mobile devices, ricardo gomez, street vendors, video game area, web portals, wii